SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Thoughts on the Spyderco Vallotton? $200 Amazon knife budget.

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Thoughts on the Spyderco Vallotton? $200 Amazon knife budget. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I carry a Manix 2 XL every day, and have for about a year and a half. The size is perfect for my hands. Tried a regular Manix 2 and a Paramilitary 2 (three in S110V, two that stayed NIB), they feel just a tad small in the hands. I bought a Military for my old man last Christmas and got to handle it after he opened the box and it was just about right. But a year later, and some hard use, and I'm liking the Manix 2 XL even more.

So that's all to say I know I like Spydercos and I know I like big knives. The Vallotton seems to combine the big beefsteak of S30V with the gentlemanly lines of a classic Italian stiletto. I've yet to handle one or see one in person, but I have the full line catalog with all the models printed to scale, and lined up against my other American Spydercos, it seems like a very different animal.

Anyone here own one? Do you carry it? What do you think of it? I kinda want to try something other than what I have so far, and this seems like an interesting option. Admittedly, it's in the running with an S110V version of the Military or the regular Manix2.

I was considering some of the Benchmade offerings in my price range, but dammit, I don't need a new addiction, lol.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. It's a really great knife but I don't carry it. There's no real reason for that, I've just got other knives that I like to carry. It's a great one to have in the collection regardless. The design is beautiful and the fit/finish are outstanding. It opens quickly and smoothly.

As I've said in a couple of other places, give Zero Tolerance a look. They offer some of my favorite knives right now. I have dozens of knives from Benchmade, Spyderco, Chris Reeve, and others but various ZTs are what I actually use the most.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Report This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
How about a serrated Endura?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Msfzoe, I have a plain edge full flat grind Endura and I like it. But I pretty much never carry it because while it's a fine pocket knife, I prefer something more robust.

Photo man, what model of ZT is that just above the Ruger in that pic? I kinda like that. Oh, and as always, good taste, fine collections and great pics. Smile

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a ZT 0200. It's a beast but such a great knife. The ergonomics are fantastic and they fire open via the flipper or thumb studs. Unfortunately they aren't made any more.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Report This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I carry a Manix 2 XL every day, and have for about a year and a half. The size is perfect for my hands. Tried a regular Manix 2 and a Paramilitary 2 (three in S110V, two that stayed NIB), they feel just a tad small in the hands. I bought a Military for my old man last Christmas and got to handle it after he opened the box and it was just about right. But a year later, and some hard use, and I'm liking the Manix 2 XL even more.

So that's all to say I know I like Spydercos and I know I like big knives. The Vallotton seems to combine the big beefsteak of S30V with the gentlemanly lines of a classic Italian stiletto. I've yet to handle one or see one in person, but I have the full line catalog with all the models printed to scale, and lined up against my other American Spydercos, it seems like a very different animal.

Anyone here own one? Do you carry it? What do you think of it? I kinda want to try something other than what I have so far, and this seems like an interesting option. Admittedly, it's in the running with an S110V version of the Military or the regular Manix2.

I was considering some of the Benchmade offerings in my price range, but dammit, I don't need a new addiction, lol.

Get it! folding knives with actual bolsters and piece inlays are much rarer now that everyone thinks slab side G10 is cool on expensive knives, even though it probably cost about $0.75 cents to make the g10 slabs..

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, i sent it to butch vallotton for his conversion to dual fire opening. In all honesty, it is the conversion that makes this knife come into its own.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be this one is the exception, but I've tried out several (6 maybe) Spyderco knives over the years. Haven't kept any of 'em.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Report This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
I've never pulled the trigger on a Vallotton due to the 4MM thickness of the blade; I had previously owned a Superleaf but at times it felt more like wielding a wedge (4MM thick), instead I went with Hungarian and am quite happy with it.

But to your point having a big beefy knife to fit your mitts... it would fit you well.

I've been using the S110V steel as in the Military you're considering and that darn steel really holds an edge well!

It's fun to be on a hunt for a new blade, as DSGrouse pointed out a lot of folks rave about it after they put it through the Butch V conversion Smile

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Report This Post