SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What to do with dmaged and rusty Kershaw and Gerber knives?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with dmaged and rusty Kershaw and Gerber knives? Login/Join 
posted
I cleaned out the garage of a friend recently as a favor. In the process I ended up saving a couple of knives from the trash.

The first is a Kershaw 1550 blackout. The handle was melted like it was either on fire or it fell on hot exhaust. The tip has also been broken off. I can re-tip the blade, but it sounds like Kershaw will not repair knives that need handles, nor will they sell handles. Junk?

The second is what was at one point a brand new Gerber BMF. It probably sat on the garage floor in the sheath for about 15 years. As a result the sheath is filthy, and the knife itself has some surface rust and some of the sheath hardware is corroding. I think this one can be saved, but what is the best way to go about it? If I could take the knife apart, I could soak the blade, crossguard and pommel in Evaporust, but I'm not sure if it unscrews and I can't see a pin. Not sure what to do about the sheath either.

Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first is a Kershaw 1550 blackout. The handle was melted like it was either on fire or it fell on hot exhaust. The tip has also been broken off. I can re-tip the blade, but it sounds like Kershaw will not repair knives that need handles, nor will they sell handles. Junk?

Shape yourself some new scales! Wood, micarta, metal, other choices. Whatever you’re comfortable working in, or just willing to give a try. Give it new life. If you don’t like what you’ve made... make some more.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Regarding the BMF, if the corrosion is not too deep you would mask off the grip material and bead blast the metal. I've seen it done on a LMF. It will make a huge difference.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shape yourself some new scales! Wood, micarta, metal, other choices. Whatever you’re comfortable working in, or just willing to give a try. Give it new life. If you don’t like what you’ve made... make some more.

That might be plan B. I have a note off to Kershaw, and we'll see what they say. This thing is mangled, if it was not from a buddy, it'd have been in the trash already.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD:
Regarding the BMF, if the corrosion is not too deep you would mask off the grip material and bead blast the metal. I've seen it done on a LMF. It will make a huge difference.

Other than one small spot, I think that would work well and would hide most everything. Unfortunately I don't have access to one locally.

posted Hide Post
Check with a machine shop. I have one here and they have done several firearms for and charge very little to do it. I had a stainless 1911 that I used for work that would get scratched up. Every other year, I would tear it down, drop it off, and 20 or 30 bucks later, it would look brand new.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Post some pics and we will see what we can do!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marcushoss:
Check with a machine shop. I have one here and they have done several firearms for and charge very little to do it. I had a stainless 1911 that I used for work that would get scratched up. Every other year, I would tear it down, drop it off, and 20 or 30 bucks later, it would look brand new.

I wish I had a machine shop locally. I have a number of small lathe or mill projects the lack of local machine shops is impeding.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Post some pics and we will see what we can do!

Can't post them, but I'm happy to email some.

posted Hide Post
Updates so far:

Gerber won't touch the BMF other than to sharpen it. However, they are sending me a NOS sheath for it.

Kershaw wrote me and said I could send my knife in and I replied asking about parts availability before wasting anyone's time. Waiting on a reply there.

I'd like to Evaporust my BMF, but I have not found a long enough container yet. I'll work on that this weekend.

posted Hide Post
Latest update:

The 1550 Blackout went back to Kershaw Thursday. We'll see what shows up in "up to six weeks". If they only hit my CC for $7, I'll know they are likely returning it unrepaired.

I found a plastic drywall mud pan at Menards for around $5 so my BMF went for a three day swim in some tired Evaporust. Most of the active rust cleaned up well, but the cutting edge is pitted and there is some pitting at the rear of the saw teeth. Not sure if I want to try and dress out the pitting yet, but I need to sharpen this knife regardless. The NOS sheath showed up from Gerber yesterday.

posted Hide Post
Not sure what Kershaw did to my 1550, but it ought to be here Tuesday. I got the shipping notification yesterday.

ETA: Got delivered today. Unrepaired. Oh well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M1Garandy,