SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Decent (U.S. made?) torx set for Benchmade maintenance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent (U.S. made?) torx set for Benchmade maintenance Login/Join 
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted
I need a decent set of torx bits and driver for my Benchmade knives. Seems like every torx bit I can put my hands on breaks or strips damn near instantly. And I don't know what one has to do to actually find quality U.S. made metal or tools anymore. I figured maybe Benchmade's own blue box maintenance kit might be worth a try, but even that has some shoddy reviews online.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
I've used the Benchmade factory kit for years. No issues and no warping or rounding on the torx heads. I just use my socket driver and I'm good to go.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with their Torx, but I bought a good deal of ball end Allen from Bondhus. They are made in America. Like I said I can't speak to the Torx but I am extremely impressed with the Allen head bits I have bought. I use mine in a power driver and have never needed to replace one due to wear or breakage. http://www.bondhus.com/bondhus...tar_tools/index.html

You can even just buy the size you need instead of buying an entire set. Click on the bits or screwdrivers link to get a list of part numbers.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
I've used the Benchmade factory kit for years. No issues and no warping or rounding on the torx heads. I just use my socket driver and I'm good to go.

It's that "for years" part that bothers me. If you bought the kit a decade ago, it may well have been U.S. made. I'm afraid if I bought one now, it might just be Chinese junk. I've got really nice Craftsman tools I've been using for years too. But you can't go out and buy them anymore. I guess I could email Benchmade and ask where they come from.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I have no experience with their Torx, but I bought a good deal of ball end Allen from Bondhus. They are made in America. Like I said I can't speak to the Torx but I am extremely impressed with the Allen head bits I have bought. I use mine in a power driver and have never needed to replace one due to wear or breakage. http://www.bondhus.com/bondhus...tar_tools/index.html

You can even just buy the size you need instead of buying an entire set. Click on the bits or screwdrivers link to get a list of part numbers.

Perfect! Will order a set of these.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I've done the same and stripped bits from Benchmade, Rhino, and a couple other cheap sets.
A couple years ago I bought several Wiha torx bits and drivers and none of them have stripped yet.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I've done the same and stripped bits from Benchmade, Rhino, and a couple other cheap sets.
A couple years ago I bought several Wiha torx bits and drivers and none of them have stripped yet.

I use the Wiha drivers, rotating caps, German made, nice tools.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I agree that WiHa is the best. But the OP asked for American made. WiHa is German.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the WiHa suggestion as well. I’ve ordered some from Bondhus. Hopefully those will fit the bill. I try to buy US sourced and US made as much as possible, so that’s my first choice. If those fail as well, I’ll try WiHa as the next stop.

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
IIRC, a few months back some members were speaking highly of the tools and bits made by Chapman Manufacturing.

Made in USA, they offer various sets as well as individual bits.

https://chapmanmfg.com/

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bondhus.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wiha for the win. Buy a US car.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Wiha.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
Chapman makes the best tool kit I have ever used. Easily worth twice the price. Will work perfectly for what you are doing

https://chapmanmfg.com/products/master-kit-5575

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post