SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Al Mar Knives - I know they aren't want they used to be.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Al Mar Knives - I know they aren't want they used to be. Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted
But I have wanted one for awhile. From reading the knife forums, I know the wisdom is they are overpriced for the design and steel used, but still, you want what you want sometimes. Maybe it was ads in gun rags years ago, or the Al Mar lore, I'm not sure - the logo is cool looking as well I guess.

I'm not much of a "knife" guy - only two Emersons which I bought on sale a couple of years ago when Midway was blowing them out. I carry and use them without reservation (actually they are back at the mothership for sharpening right now) - just tools (nice ones at that).

Recently I received some random refund $$$ that I never expected to get - coupled with successful completion of a project I didn't think would succeed - I was all out of excuses.

So I acquired a simple Al Mar SERE 2000 Mini in black - Brand new, flawless and smooth like a Swiss watch - razor sharp. Smaller and lighter than my Emersons, 3" blade and the folding action is sooo smooth. Tight lockup.

I considered Benchmades, ZTs, a slew of others instead, but none did it for me - even though they were more economical, or better steel, or whatever.

Sometimes you just have to get what you want.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice knife. They still make very good knives. Fit and finish is very good.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Al Mar blades. Still have my original SERE folder.

Not to mention, my 5th Special Forces bowie.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Impressive !!! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. Recently, it seems the company has shied away from the larger, more robust blades. A lot changed, when Al passed-away. But they are still a great product.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dig it !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, a solid knife, that folder. I have its big brother, also in a black blade. I believe the SERE folders are manufactured by Moki. These knives feel very solid. Opening/closing is very smooth and lockup is sure and and solid. These SERE folders from Al Mar could be a true comfort in a tight spot. Lately, though, prices seem to be nuts. I collect Mars but given the market, I think I'm done. The last one I bought was this full size SERE.

Also, I have a SERE 2000 folder I purchased in 2004, modified by Butch Vallotton. Scale release. Super slick. I bought it from a vendor at Blade Atlanta. Butch was at the show and I brought the knife to him to verify that it was his work, and while I was there, he signed the box and box sleeve.

I began collecting Al Mar knives in the late 1980s. My first one was a mint, leather handled SF-SOG with an Eagle sheath. In 1987, it cost me 125 bucks. Those were the days. Hell, a few months after that I snagged an early SERE Attack, complete with a Tex Shoemaker sheath and sharpening stone. A hundred bucks.

These have turned out to be wise investments.

Posts: 107488 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
One of the all time classic frame lock folders.

A standard SERE 2000 in black was my first nice knife. Still am proud of it.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Years ago I went into a knife store in downtown Chicago (Corado cutlery) looking for a Buck knife.
I planned on spending around $30.
I saw a Al Mar Buzzard in the case for about $125.
I walked out with the Buzzard.
I carried it for years but eventually "misplaced" it. I always hope that it will suddenly turn up.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
When I bought my SF Bowie it was $250 dollars retail, I believe. As Para has mentioned the prices, I've seen them going for somewhere north of $400 bucks now! Of course, there's nothing like a classic.