SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    New knife box, packaging, etc. - keep or discard?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New knife box, packaging, etc. - keep or discard? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

I just received two new knives this week. I stored away the boxes and miscellaneous items they came with, but found myself wondering what for? So my question to all of you is: Do you keep the boxes and miscellaneous items your knives came with or do you just discard them?

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I keep the box for anything where the box would improve resale value. So, for a knife, yes keep the box.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
On not cheap knives, I will save them for a couple years in case I decide not to keep them. Somewhere down the line if I run into the box and realize the knife has been used enough that the box wouldn't increase the resale price (not that I'd sell it at that point anyway) I'll toss it.

I have sold knives 2-3 years after I've bought them with little to no use, and ben happy I still had the box.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Typically, no. I buy knives to use, not to collect or resell. So there's no need to hang on to the box.

But I do have a box full of miscellaneous accessories that came with new knives and flashlights, like extra screws, lanyards, spare pocket clips, etc. Even if I don't plan to use them at the time, I'll hang onto them in case they become of use later down the road.

And I do keep the little microfiber bags that some knives come with. You can never have too many of those stashed around, for cleaning sun/safety glasses and the like.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I have with my Spydercos, and yes, it did come in handy once with resale.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
I have recently retained all my knife boxes. Mostly, for resale purposes. As many buyers seem to hold a high-value on the original packaging.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I have a few boxes but no real rhyme or reason. I have dozens of knifes, have never resold a knife in my life and have no plans to do so. Can't imagine keeping the box of every knife I have. Would take up half a closet LOL.

That said, I have bought a few pre-owned knives on the secondary market and box and paperwork included has always seemed the most attractive offer even if I'm likely to toss the box when received. Usually expect to pay more for it is a given ... pay less if no original box and paperwork.

Just seems that those who keep the box and paperwork for possible later resale are generally the type to take noticeably better care of the knife while in their possession. So there's that too in the resale price consideration.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
If its a "decent" knife, I keep the boxes stacked in the closet.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I have usually kept all the packaging, boxes, literature, etc, but sometimes I give in and toss them. With my firearms, I always keep.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got boxes for knives that I've lost! Mad

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post