SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Best value camp axe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best value camp axe? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I did a search on the Forum and came up empty for old threads.

What do we like for a all-around hatchet/camp axe? Something portable that can do lots of tasks but not so small that it's useless for anything more than making kindling.

I love the craftsmanship of the Swedish forged Bruks offerings but they are pretty spendy and seem like collector's pieces.
Who provides the best balance of performance and value? Husqvarna? Estwing? Fiskars?

I like the look and feel of a hickory handle but understand the durability of fiberglass and steel handles.

What to buy?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Fiskar's.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my grandsons Brux axes but for an all around beater, I like those east wing one piece axes. They only cost about 40 bucks or so and hold an edge fairly well.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Fiskars for value.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Value
Fiskars 17" splitting axe.

Good value for high quality Swedish forged steel
Husqvarna small splitting axe, these have increased 20% in the last 3-4 years.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either a Fiskars splitting axe (get the one sized for you, try them out at Home Depot- I got the x25 and liked it so much I got the hatchet too, don't need a hatchet with the X25, but hey, I can afford it) or a couple of garage sale oldies. Note that the Fiskars are amazing and will outperform the garage sale oldies but have real soft steel. Take extra care to keep them out of the dirt.

The X25 outperforms a monster maul, and will split kindling as good as any hatchet you own. It's amazing. I've split a lot of wood with mauls. Then I ruined the wood handle on one and got this Fiscar. I'm impressed.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Ka-Bar Kukri. You won't be chopping down 18" trees with it, but it will knock down a smaller tree as fast as an axe. And you can use it to flip burgers.

It won't split firewood, but it's so much fun to use. LOL

https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...s&utm_content=113362

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Husqvarna? Estwing? Fiskars?

Yes. Big Grin

Your "all around" comment struck me. If it's something you may end up using as a hammer to some degree, the one piece head Estwing is a good choice because you can't spread the eye, ruin the head and make the handle loose. I'm not 100% crazy about them, but they will last the rest of your life if you don't so something stupid. Wink

Fiskars are cool and cheap, but not unbreakable like many think. I bought a Fiskars hatchet a year or two ago for no reason other than the hardware store was going out of business. (I was actually kicking around buying a Husqvarna hatchet prior to that, again for no good reason) I used the Fiskars this year to skin and quarter a deer and was "enlightened" by how handy a tool it was for the job. That said, I haven't used it on anything BUT a deer. Smile

(but I also used this revelation as my excuse to use up my Amazon credits and buy a Granfors Bruk small hand hatchet just for this task) Cool

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm underwhelmed by the hollow handle of the fiskars. I have a shorty one in my camping box.

Estwing made is in USA.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
You might find what you like at Council Tool.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...(but I also used this revelation as my excuse to use up my Amazon credits and buy a Granfors Bruk small hand hatchet just for this task) Cool

If you mean the 10 oz. mini hatchet, I can understand why. I have one and just love it. It is an exquisite tool.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
You might find what you like at Council Tool.

Agreed. I have a couple of their axes and think they generally do a good job. I have to say, though, quality control is sometimes lacking. Their fit and finish can leave something to be desired. But then, not many makers will match the fine Swedish companies.

posted Hide Post
I have a Cold Steel teail boss, and I love it.

https://www.coldsteel.com/trail-boss.html

Posts: 2221 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I keep a Husqvarna in my truck, great ax for the price. I did reprofile the head a bit but it was fine without it.....I was just bored.

I also have an estwing, I think it is the 16" model....it is bulletproof. I also did the head on it .....it needed it but was fully functional, I am just anal Wink

After reading the The Ax Book (great read by the way) I decided to keep the full sized ax in my truck instead of the smaller hatchet.

Learn how to use a file and a puck sharpener, I keep a file next to my ax in my truck.

Also while not an ax...look at a sven saw, great cutter and packs small.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i bought an Eastwing Axe a few years ago. Most Useless thing I own. I cannot split a piece of wood with the thing. Every other axe/hatchet I own works as it should.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This might be exactly what you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Morakni...130&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Here's a quick review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KyKpQupe_s

IMHO much better than a Fiskars or Gerber and reasonably priced. Can take a shaving sharp edge. Its lightweight and makes an excellent backpacking hatchet. Due to it's lightweight it (or any hatchet) isn't what you want to do a LOT of wood processing with but as light hatchet it's very nice. It's not quite as sweet as my Gransfors but an excellent hatchet for the money.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i bought an Eastwing Axe a few years ago. Most Useless thing I own. I cannot split a piece of wood with the thing.

Too thin / gradual for splitting, good from chopping small tress, limbs etc.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i bought an Eastwing Axe a few years ago. Most Useless thing I own. I cannot split a piece of wood with the thing. Every other axe/hatchet I own works as it should.

The thin blade profile is better for cutting, but I have never had difficulty splitting oak, maple or pine with either my 16" or 26" Estwing. A couple of years ago, I used the 16" to cross cut a downed maple tree, ~6" diameter, and cross cut extremely well. Like dewhorse, I did sharpen the edge, as the factory edge is too dull.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
This might be exactly what you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Morakni...130&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Here's a quick review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KyKpQupe_s

IMHO much better than a Fiskars or Gerber and reasonably priced. Can take a shaving sharp edge. Its lightweight and makes an excellent backpacking hatchet. Due to it's lightweight it (or any hatchet) isn't what you want to do a LOT of wood processing with but as light hatchet it's very nice. It's not quite as sweet as my Gransfors but an excellent hatchet for the money.......

If it's anything like Mora knives, I'd believe it. Mora makes great value stuff; good quality and inexpensive prices.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Well, I didn't go with "best value" but it didn't cost me much Smile

I bought the Gransfors (edit: Hults, not Gransfors) Bruks Gran small splitting axe. I had a REI gift card and there was a 20% off coupon so I got it for $31 delivered. Score!

Now, to learn how to sharpen an axe...

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post