SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Best value camp axe?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best value camp axe? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned you can get a workable edge with a good file.....a puck will make it better.....I use sticks to get it shaving sharp.

Watch your hands...easy to get cut

Posts: 7159 | Location: Back in DFW ....hopefully to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is a Lansky puck decent or should one pay 8x the price for a Gransfors one?
Best resource for learning the technique?
Should a splitting axe be very sharp? I read that a maul should not be sharp.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"I cannot spare this man. He fights!"
-Abraham Lincoln

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-PJ O'Rourke
“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Posts: 3318 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the market for one now as well, decided to go with the Schrade SCAXE2L: https://www.amazon.com/Schrade...3N0AYMAZR374GJHQAEVS

Looks like a good value, they have a smaller one, but I like the longer 15" handle, it is still light and portable.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

The world's a dangerous place, we can help! http://portlandfirearmtraining.com/

Posts: 4345 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Well, I didn't go with "best value" but it didn't cost me much Smile

I bought the Gransfors (edit: Hults, not Gransfors) Bruks Gran small splitting axe. I had a REI gift card and there was a 20% off coupon so I got it for $31 delivered. Score!

Now, to learn how to sharpen an axe...

Bruce

You did fine. Hults Bruk has been around a long time and makes fine tools. You'll love it.

Posts: 2117 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Is a Lansky puck decent or should one pay 8x the price for a Gransfors one?
Best resource for learning the technique?
Should a splitting axe be very sharp? I read that a maul should not be sharp.

Bruce

The Lansky works for me just fine

Posts: 7159 | Location: Back in DFW ....hopefully to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave up on REI due to their anti-gun SJW stance.

Posts: 1409 | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post