SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Doug Ritter Griptilian
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doug Ritter Griptilian Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have the Doug Ritter version of the Griptilian?

It looks like an interesting blade shape, and it comes in M390 instead of the usual 154cm.

Is it worth the approximately $40 premium over the regular Griptilian, or not?

http://www.knifeworks.com/doug...ve.aspx#.WGxaWvkrK70

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, so I can't comment. But if decide you want one, I wouldn't dawdle. They're stopping making them.

http://www.bladeforums.com/for...K-Knife-Announcement

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I guess that might make my question moot! But thanks for the info.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PKFan,

Appreciate the heads-up on the Ritter / Benchmade situation. Wife and I both have EDC a Ritter Grip for years.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Well I guess that might make my question moot! But thanks for the info.

Note that they are still available at Knifeworks (at least for the time being) and the announcement only came out on 12/12. And apparently the 2017 new products from BM don't include a Ritter replacement.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ritter's Griptilians are excellent knives. I had two, one in M2 and the other in M4 steels, both coated. The large was easy to carry, lightweight, smooth action, Axis lock top notch.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If in the market, I'd grab one with the m390 in a second for the price difference.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got one. Very nice knife with a comfortable grip.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I sold my S30V version a couple years ago.
I use a large M390 in the kitchen because it's such a great slicer.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Does anyone have the Doug Ritter version of the Griptilian?

It looks like an interesting blade shape, and it comes in M390 instead of the usual 154cm.

Is it worth the approximately $40 premium over the regular Griptilian, or not?

http://www.knifeworks.com/doug...ve.aspx#.WGxaWvkrK70

The M390 steel is awesome, plus the blade shape is superior in my opinion. If you're going to own a Griptillian, this is the one to have. I have a mini and full size Doug Ritter and my standard Grip collects dust. Don't miss out on this knife. It's worth every penny.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe there's still some available at the Knifeworks link. I recently got another Large. I'll echo the thought about this being the Griptilian to have. I have both large and small Ritter Grips, and I've let all the others go. These are, for my money, by far the best.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Darn this thread. I just ordered the Ritter Mini Griptilian.

Mini came in:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vgex,

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up PKFan! I just grabbed the orange full size Ritter Grip from KnifeWorks. It's been on my "buy this eventually" list for years and I'm really glad I didn't miss the chance to pick one up while they were still available.

Tom

Posts: 279 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ritter grip is best of breed. Have a couple and love them. I always wanted a Ritter grip with a spydie hole. Put some G10 on that one and it would be the best grip ever.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Knifeworks still has Ritter RSK-1's and Mini-RSK's in stock. I just ordered two. M390 blade. I prefer the mini over the full-size for EDC.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I have one of the sprint run Ritter M4 with DLC blades. It's a great little knife!

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a large and small then customized both with Wilkins titanium scales. They are now some of my favorite knives. The small competes with my Chris Reeve knifes for EDC carry.

• I like the blade profile.
  • Neither had any of the QC issues I (and many others) have seen with other Benchmades lately.
  • The plastic handles suck, for me anyway, but there are after market options. The AWT (yellow/orange) scales are nice too and cheaper than Wilkins. Wilkins can be had in G10, aluminum, and titanium.
  • I have long lusted for an Axis lock with titanium scales and these have scratched that itch. And both of them customized cost only a little more than Benchmade's new Anthem.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Man, I like those titanium grips!!
I've got a bunch of Griptilians and especially the Doug Ritter ones would look great with those!

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but I cannot justify the $200 price tag for a set of grips, you end up in the lower $300 price range for a production knife.

But they do look cool.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I really like the Ti grips from Wilkins, so I wrote to Kevin Wilkins in Berlin. He had a medical emergency and is temporarily (we pray!) quite disabled.
I am ordering the satin natural titanium grip with orange spacer for one of my Mini RSKs.

For me, this knife is perfect in form and function except for the grips, so let's see how much closer to perfect Kevin Wilkins can make it.

I will update when I get the grips.