SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Forged to Fire-Bushcraft American Bowie or Seax?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forged to Fire-Bushcraft American Bowie or Seax? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I am a "Forged to Fire" fan. Love the show. I just enjoy it.

Like all of us I have knives. But I am thinking of finding someone who could build me an American Bowie knife or Seax. Nothing huge but a good size chopping and cutting tool. I would like it to to be Forged in Fire by the maker. Verses a blank that is finished. Not wanting to spend ton's. It it does not need to be all shiny and fancy.

So originally I was thinking of a Bowie. But now am thinking a seax might be the way to go. Simple design. Guessing very easy to keep sharp. Make a great chopper and camp knife. Any thoughts comparing the two?

I would love some idea's on the knife and someone who could make one

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forged "IN" fire...

clearly youre not that much of a fan.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My brother just bought one from Cold Steel, its around $110.00. Its ugly and big. He's not ever going to use it, just wipe oil on it and admire. Its still ugly. Its called 1917 Frontier Bowie. He said it got good reviews and sports a very thick blade.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks DL, I could see my self using one on occasion. Mostly for chopping.

Having one made by reusing some old steel from a saw or other item and having it forged into a blade by someone would be neat so we'll see. Thanks for your post.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Welcome ORC. I just watched the Cold Steel video of that 1917 chopping and sticking. Its still big and ugly... Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO A forged blade of reasonable size would run a couple hundred dollars. $300-$500.

The best bang for the buck forged blade maker I'm aware of would be G L Drew on Bladeforums. He makes an honest forged blade at a remarkable price.

The Knife Makers post their wares here. http://www.bladeforums.com/for...le-fixed-blades.754/

This one was $400 and it was damascus. It lingered and I don't think it sold.

http://www.bladeforums.com/thr...-price-drop.1491209/

I don't think he takes orders and the market is really slow. I think he'd price a nice forged bowie sized knife at $200-$300.

Good Luck it'll be a joy to use when you get one.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Great advise from BD, one of the folks on BF will be able to help you. I'm FiF fan, too, was really happy to see James Helm win, he goes by Storm Crow in BF.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Storm Crow. He makes some great stuff.

http://www.helmforge.com/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I MUST add on thing. There is a difference between "blanks" that are ordered (pre-made to a design shape) and a blank that is created. Makers can order blanks from outfits like USA Knifemaker. Or a maker can create a custom shaped "blank" and have it re-produced (water-jet) in large quantities. There are guys (like myself) that makes EVERY blade "blank" for EACH project even though many times they are done in multiples, each one is individual. NO mass-production here! Many levels in knifemaking.
At any time one can order a "Damascus" "custom" on Amazon for $49.99 with a sheath!!!!!!!!! Or a $850.00 custom from a REAL knifemaker with REAL quality. Many different knives to skin the proverbial cat!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So now am thinking a seax might be the way to go. Cheaper to build. easy to sharpen. Make a great chopper and camp tool. Any thoughts on it?

:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread... i've been toying with the idea of getting a Svord Von Tempsky.

Looks somewhat of a cross between a seax and bowie.
https://www.knifecenter.com/it...ndles-leather-sheath

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post