SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco Factory 2nd Sale
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco Factory 2nd Sale Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Why would it matter if spyderco chinese is better than <xxx> chinese? It's still --- Chinese knife. giggle giggle. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Dang, I don't know how I didn't see this till just now. Lots I would have bought had a I seen it sooner. Two things still in stock that I was interested in, went out of stock while I was looking. lol

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea, this was like a buy one, get 3 or 4 free sale. Don’t care about cosmetics - I’ll put blemish on it the first day I get it.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on the sale. I wasn't able to really shop from work, but I passed the info along and someone asked me "plain edge or combination?" and told me to keep an eye out for a package, so something is headed my way. Probably a good thing I didn't have time to mess with it at work, when I checked, there were still a variety of Military to choose from and I've been wanting a black on black Military for a while. $75? Too tempting, and I probably wouldn't have stopped there.

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
are chinese spydercos any better than chinese knives by anybody else?

I'd be willing to say they are. I forget all the details, but even though they're made in China, it is Spyderco overseeing everything, it's not just a licensing agreement type thing. The quality is there. I have owned two Chinese Spydercos that I can think of right off the bat. One is the Tenacious, which was my first Spyderco. I was impressed enough with it that I wanted to try out one of the Colorado made knives and bought a Manix 2 not long after. I also have a Szabo, which is made in Taiwan. In terms of quality, I'd say it's honestly no different to me than any of the American made Spydercos I've owned - I can't find a flaw on it.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chewbackup
posted Hide Post
I got an order in for a PM3 and kitchen knife, I am in serious doubt that these orders will all be filled completely. I got the order confirmation, but until it's in my hands, doubts are high.

That website was getting destroyed for like 3 hours! lOL

I love my wife, kids, dogs, Sigs, and Glocks, knives--In no particular order!

Posts: 690 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I managed to get a PM2 in maxamet and a Native in S30V Friday afternoon. I wanted to try one of those $13 z kitchen knives, BD1N steel sounds like an amazing performer and I wouldn't turn down another blade in the kitchen, but they sold out both times I was trying to checkout. Almost got a UKPK in BD1N for a steal.

I also wanted a military or police, those larger format slicers are sweet. I love my Delica and Endura and something larger than an Endura would be a real sweet treat. And how quickly the VG-10 on my two springs back to life on the sharpmaker so easily pretty much makes me not want to deal with other knives on a daily basis.

They had some real cool stuff, for sure. Refresh an hour later and almost completely different selection. Tomahawks, different models I had never seen, a wide range of colors and steels. And their social media said it was going to run through Saturday, getting models and restocked periodically, but they announced Friday evening they were completely sold out!

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good some of you were able to take advantage of the sale.

Bust for me. Had a PM2 Maxamet twice as far as in the cart, disconnect! Then out of stock, grrrr!

As I was messing with all that, kept thinking about how I was going regrind the Maxamet to .010 behind the edge! Oh well.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I received my order. I think they made a mistake - I think they sent firsts. Actually, I think I only see one with something unexpected. Steel type is marked different on one vs others and I don't think they use this particular type of steel in this model. Both are good steels so even if marked correctly, I don't mind.

Happy happy happy. Well, mostly. The ball bearing lock, while similar, is not as good as Axis (as mentioned above). But I'll get used to it.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Happy happy happy. Well, mostly. The ball bearing lock, while similar, is not as good as Axis (as mentioned above). But I'll get used to it.

Glad it worked out. Like I said it’s not the same. It’s not HORRIBLE it’s just if you are used to the axis lock it’s it spoils you a bit.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Played with the spyderco more. Still happy. But in addition to the lock mechanism, they are pretty bulky and large compared to the Griptillians. The smaller spyderco is supposed to have a blade length similar to the mini-grip but is much longer and wider (especially when folded). It's actually about the same length but wider than the grip. And the larger spyderco is much larger than the grip.

So, even though the blade lengths are supposed to be similar, the spyderco's are much bigger (length and width and folded width).

This may be good overall. But they are more bulky to carry in pocket (especially w/ other things in the pocket like wallet, flashlight, phone, etc).

I still like the spyderco - seem well built. And in many ways may be better than the grips. And I won't be buying anymore benchmade. But the grips do carry better and the lock is much better.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I like the width of the leaf type blades. I prefer it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post