SIGforum
Randall #8-4 Old Style Trout & Bird Knife

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/4880046864

April 08, 2020, 09:08 AM
hjs157
Randall #8-4 Old Style Trout & Bird Knife
About a year ago, I contacted Randall to see if they would make for me an old style #8-4 Trout & Bird knife with a stacked leather handle. At that time they informed me the leather handle was not available as an option on the old style #8-4 which is supplied with a standard stag handle. A couple of months ago however, I found this one for sale from a reputable Randall hobbyist. In addition to the leather handle, custom features include black spacers and a brass single hilt (the reduced brass hilt is standard on the old style Trout & Bird). Had I have ordered directly from RMK, the only other custom feature I would have specified is the "Crow's Beak" butt cap. I'm not sure of the age of this knife though I assume it was made before Randall placed a limit on the number of custom features one may specify per knife order.

From the Randall website:

Note: Randall Madeā„¢ Knives has a limit of five chargeable features . . . customizations are limited on different models based on the overall construction of the blade and production limits.

Randall Old Style #8-4 Trout & Bird knife w/ stacked leather handle.

April 08, 2020, 10:50 PM
rburg
I've got one with a stag handle. I bought it at a gun show in Winchester, KY years ago. It was a tiny show, and I managed to walk it in about 15 minutes, forward and backward. They had a little stage in one corner of the room. They said it was for the band at wedding receptions.

It had the only interesting knife at the show. It was an old Randall (as told by the grind and the black spacer.) But the owner was no where to be found. So being my rude self, I asked. The guy said he went out for breakfast!. So having nothing else to do, I hung around. About 15 or so minutes later in walks a jolly old farmer type. Overalls and all. In the shopping bag he had coffee and egg McMuffins for everyone. Generous old coot.

So after he distributed his loot, I approached him and asked about the knife in his display. He laughed and said "oh, you must be looking at that nasty old Randall". Then "I won't take a penny less than $150 for it." OK So I drove home with a new to me old Trout and Bird.

At the next big show I showed it to my Randall expert, Joe Gillenwater. He asked if I wanted to make a $100 profit. No.

Unhappy ammo seeker
April 09, 2020, 09:45 PM
jhe888
Nice. I have a new style #8 with a stag handle. It is a favorite.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
April 14, 2020, 12:18 PM
ifithitu
That is a very nice looking knife,I thank Randall make some beautiful knives.Just my opinion.
April 15, 2020, 10:17 AM
Pal
I have a #25 with the stag handle. One of my favs. Had to wait four years to get it. At the time my son suggested I buy two with the idea of using the second to help pay for the first.It was tough to let the second one go but it paid for over half the cost of the first one. All my kids are smarter than me!

Jim
April 16, 2020, 11:43 PM
rburg
quote:
Originally posted by ifithitu:
Just my opinion.

Just yours and about everyone else's alive.

Unhappy ammo seeker