SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    New Knife profile opinions!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Knife profile opinions!! Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
Good day to everyone here at Sigforum! Happy new year to all even though it’s almost February. I’ve been laying a little low taking some time off for family after my wife’s surgery at the end of the year. Things are great and time to rock on!

I am contemplating doing a run of this particular style knife. It will be a cross between a Camp, Hunter, and Every Day Carry knife. It will have wonderful skinning personality also! Wink

Blade length will be about 4 to 4 1/2 inch, I’m going to start with 1/8 inch thickness on the blade. I’m thinking D2 Stainless steel. To all of you guys and appreciate a great knife, what’s your opinion on this shape?

https://imgur.com/a/QRAooCQ

We could start a run of these in a couple weeks!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
nice looking shape. how do you like that jig in the background? always wondered if i should build one for certain designs.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I use it ever so often for certain shapes on my weak side. Other than that I don’t use it very often.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Right up my alley

I like it

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice profile. I tend to prefer knives on the smaller side so this would be right up my alley

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Northridge Tools grinder? If so, how do you like it? Motor HP?

Thanks

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I absolutely LOVE the Northridge! It’s a great piece of equipment! It is a variable speed.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
There will be Damascus offerings also!!

posted Hide Post
I really like the profile. Very functional.

Damascus will be awesome.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the blade profile. The handle profile is nice. My only comment would be to round out the base of the hilt.
Sharp edges like that seem to always gouge into my palm.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
DS, I can certainly do a little rounding!!

posted Hide Post
Near Perfect IMHO. Only change I'd made was the rounding the hilt base just mentioned.........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I really like it. For my use, I find that a wide, flat ground drop point with a medium sweep from edge to tip to be perfect. Add a good finger choil, and I am happy as a clam. Looks like you captured it perfectly.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4875 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep us in the loop. It is a good looking knife.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I like it a lot, and in fact, it's awfully similar to a blank I cut out of O1 and never finished. Mine's more rounded in the grip area and has a bit more of a drop point, but I wanted to try the same grip profile and more of an upswept tip like your's on the piece I have left.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I've grown older and gained experience both in the military and LE, I have learned that I work better with knives that are on the smaller side.

The profile that you have pictured is my ideal shape and size to carry in my bail out bag and along with what I like to carry on my LBE/IBA on deployments.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I will have some blades ground hopefully this weekend. Will probably be doing some “Finish It Your Way” projects⚔️