SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Benchmade 's Bug Out....WOW.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benchmade 's Bug Out....WOW. Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
Fondled one of the Bug Out's yesterday.

My initial impression is it's a pretty perfect EDC ,especially for a guy like me that doesn't like a lot of weight in his pockets.

The ergos are nice, comes sharp, BM quality, nicely balanced, etc.

But the PRICE and those FLEXY scales! IMHO it's a $90 knife.

One CAN replace the scales, adding $90 more to the price.

Other than my aversion to the retail price...It's an interesting knife. Have a birthday coming up....

Just got one of the STEEL WILL folders the other day, the CUT JACK model. Hell of an EDC for less than forty bucks. Headed out shortly to hike GNP for a few days, taking the cut jack along for the ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the same issue that the Benchmade Griptilians have. Great knives, except for the crappy scales.

And once you factor in the cost of replacing the scales (for roughly double what the knife itself costs), then they're a bit overpriced for what you get.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
The Bugout is one of my favorite knives.
The sheer lack of weight is what impresses me the most, as well as the very usable blade size and shape. The miniaturized deep carry clip is also an attractive featre.

Yeah the scales are flexy, but with use doesn't detract from its efficacy. I have three bugouts, one with custom carbon fiber scales and as such is the perfect gentleman's knife when I'm wearing a suit.

I also have Ti scales ordered for another one.

But the one I go to the most is a standard with the plastic scales. That knife has been carried throughout the summer, and used on a few camping and hiking trips without issue.
I wish BKC made them in orange instead of blue, as it seems to make more sense visability-wise in the woods. I've toyed with the idea of orange G10 scales for it but haven't jumped yet.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An orange buyout would be awesome.

Is there anywhere cheaper currently to get a buyout than knives ship free ~ 114.00 with free shipping?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I've had my BugOut since early on. It is my at the office knife since it's not too big and rides light on my pocket when in slacks or khakis.

At home its am Emerson or Hinderer just for the bigger blade and a bit more bite. Though sometimes the BO does ride along as a second knife.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Dropped the hint to the Wife that a Bug Out would be a nice birthday gift. She ordered it today. LOL.

Carried the Steel Will yesterday and today in Glacier Park. Cut open a few packs of food, cut up an apple, that was about it. Carries nicely too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Dropped the hint to the Wife that a Bug Out would be a nice birthday gift. She ordered it today. LOL.

Nice! You will love it. I got the blue handled one around Christmas last year (and promptly cut the crap out of myself with it) and I just got the OD handled one, which is my current EDC knife.

Congrats and happy Early Birthday!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

My Bug Out recently got a big Brother. Starting to understand the guys who collect nothing but Benchmade's.

posted Hide Post
Just bit the bullet and ordered a blue one from knives ship free dot com earlier today. Looking forward to checking out this knife.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
My blue one arrived yesterday.

I can say without hesitation that this is a FANTASTIC knife.

I am a Benchmade snob and carry only their knives- have for my entire adult life. I love the lightness, the feel in the hand, the shape of the blade, and the excellent clip.

They hit a homerun with this one.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today (a day early) seems like it will work great for some edc use (although I like a beefier Emerson for edc since I can’t carry a gun at work) and an awesome hiking type knife.

I’m on the fence with the titanium scales, they look awesome but I’m not sure I want to turn this 115 dollar knife into a 215 dollar knife.

posted Hide Post
Feels like a toy after carrying an Emerson for edc for the past month.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

My Bug Out recently got a big Brother. Starting to understand the guys who collect nothing but Benchmade's.

The 940 is the quintessential BM for me. Light, nice blade shape, great blade to handle ratio, Axis lock. With their current pricing, though, I'm a lot less likely to buy new than in the past.

And for those that like the Grip except for the scales, check out the new Doug Ritter knife (made be Hogue).

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I have that same green 940. I love it.

A couple years ago i picked up the 940's Uncle Rico.

The Contego folder is a wicked SOB. Really big for a folder.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Been carrying my 940 for a few weeks now...Still in love with it. Great shape, great ergos, love the blade design, it's simply a joy to fiddle with. My new fidget spinner. It was a beater I bought at a show for $80 with a broken blade tip. Then sent to BM a few months back for a new blade and a rebuild. I think the 940's are quite the folder, all most of us could ever truly need.

After the Blade West show my head is swimming with folder lust. Saw so many neat folders that appealed to me.

I only picked up one new addition, a BM Proper from their company store, with blue scales and a black, coated blade. A limited edition of I think 2000 units. Hardly rare, but I liked the blue scales.

I was impressed by a couple of higher end builders; Olamic and Koenig. Agonized all last week and on Friday ordered a Wayfarer 247 from Olamic. My first fairly high end folder at $425.

Their build quality, attention to detail and laundry list of options was impressive. I didn't go too crazy. Simply a 247 with dark blasted Ti scales, blue anodized fasteners and back spacer, and a light blasted pocket clip. Very plain vanilla compared to what a guy could order.

The Koenig Arius itch is going to be tougher to scratch. Have to do some real searching to find one that I can buy. May call and order one.

I have basically stopped big game hunting, haven't hunted in 5-6 years now. I enjoy the chase and the time outdoors, but simply can't pull the trigger anymore. And I have several good rifles, all with Leupold optics, that I now, do not use. So probably going to liquidate a few and slowly turn them into knives that appeal to me.

posted Hide Post
If you want a Bugout sized knife but with the rigid G10 scales, consider the BM531. $136.00 brand new from Blade HQ.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post