SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Resident Knife Makers, a moment of your time, please...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resident Knife Makers, a moment of your time, please... Login/Join 
posted
Is Stainless Steel, 304L grade 2" Wide X 1/8" Thick any decent to make a good blade out of?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Racking my brain, I don't think this makes good blade steel as I don't think it hardens well with the heat treating process. Guards and pommels aren't a problem though. Good "fixture" steel. I think this is correct, please enlighten me if I'm off base.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Racking my brain, I don't think this makes good blade steel as I don't think it hardens well with the heat treating process. Guards and pommels aren't a problem though. Good "fixture" steel. I think this is correct, please enlighten me if I'm off base.

sybo is spot on. If you wanting to get into blade making, start with some high carbon steels, they're easier to learn the heat treat process anyways. If you want to stick with a stainless steel, look into the 440 series of stainless steels.

Don

"When chance meets the prepared mind."

Posts: 999 | Registered: August 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
304 and 304L don't have enough carbon to make a good knife. They are too soft.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
For working knives the austinitics (300 series) are crap.
No real way for the average citizen to get the hardness high up to a decent, uniform, useful level.
Only way to increase its hardness is through work/strain hardening, ie: deformation.
The only heat treat you can do on it is stress relieving to remove the work hardening...

A wall hanger yes.
Easy to work with, cheap, and will take a nice polish.

Get some martinsitic (400 series as mentioned is quite popular)or maybe a leaf spring from a wrecking yard.

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I have about 2ft left of this steel.
I framed out the inside of by kitchen window with it, and had some extra.
Scratch that idea.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been watching a few youtube videos and I think I'm going to try to make a knife.

Maybe this will be something I do with my Son.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Striperkid, go for it!! What a great thing to share with a Son!! If I can offer any help, give me a shout!! I don't mind at all!!
Jim
Dragons Breath Knives

Bird and trout knife!
Something like this would be a fun project!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Thanks, I may just do that. About to sit down and watch a few of your videos.

Edit to add: You probably have the strongest forearms by the way you sling that sledge !

posted Hide Post
I think this is the best route for me to start. I have all of the materials/tools to get this going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkRjPEFXBpU