SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Multi-tool and swiss army recommendations

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multi-tool and swiss army recommendations Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
Looking at upgrading my multi-tool. I have a Gerber I've had for years. I don't need "everything and the kitchen sink", but a pocket clip would be nice. I'm more of a minimalist with multi-tools. Already carry a separate knife, so that is not a big deal. Would prefer a pocket clip.

Also looking at getting my sons, a 13y/o and 10y/o, a Swiss Army knife. Nothing fancy, just something they will remember as something I got them for Christmas. The oldest has a few knives, this would be the youngest boys first.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 9514 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Multi tools are handy at times. I carried either a Gerber or Leatherman multi-tool for years, but quit. The only thing I used regularly on them was the pliers/wire cutters. I have tools in the house, tools in the garage & tools in my truck, so I'm never more than a minute or two away from a tool that will actually do a better job than what's on the multi-tool.

In addition to my edc knife, I do often carry a Victorinox SAK alox cadet for
light prying, screw tightening, etc. The alox version is very slim, lightweight & disappears in any pants pocket. An alox SAK might be a good choice for Christmas presents for your sons, too.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 413 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have owned a lot of Multi-tools and I still carry a Leatherman Wave. I have clips on both of mine, one in my bag and one in my console. Just keep in mind, if you are buying a used Wave. Clips are not available (even post factory) for the earliest versions.

I have owned or own, Buck, Gerber, Victorinox, Leatherman and SOG. I always return to The Wave. For me, it just works best.

Buck and Gerber both have excellent customer service. I have never had a reason to use Leatherman's customer service.

The SAK is a great gift. I remember receiving a Tinker for Christmas, from an Aunt. It was my pride and joy for many years, until loosing it. My Brother still has his.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 33695 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find this one the most useful for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...coliid=IJGZSB3U5TM4Z

If you do not require a locking blade the Huntsman is also a excellent choice.
Before I got the Outrider I used the Rucksack.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BillF,

Posts: 1590 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
Picture of Pale Horse
posted Hide Post
The most useful multitool I own is my Leatherman Wave with the additional bit set and extension. Here is a set that has the bit kit, the wave and the pocket clip. You might be able to get them cheaper if you buy them individually though so shop around.

https://www.amazon.com/Leather...therman+wave+bit+kit

Add the extension and you have a toolbox on your hip. I swear by this setup and keep one in each car, one in my bug out bag and one in my toolbox to wear when I work on anything.

But I don't carry that all the time. My EDC is the Emerson EDC-2. I bought mine from Sparta Guns. The owner is a member here on SigForum and gives a discount for members. Great guy to deal with so if you are planning on getting one hit him up.

http://spartaguns.com/products...tool-tan-bts-copy-of

Georgia Carry Member Calguns Foundation Member Second Amendment Foundation Member NRA Lifetime Member

Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets. -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 11785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
All-time best multi-tool isn't even made anymore.

It was the ViceGrips multitool. We have 2 we prize. It had a knife and the socket for screwdriver bits and it was hell-for-stout. GREAT tool!

Second best is simply a small set of ViceGrips. As Ironbutt says, it's the pliers/cutter that get the most use for me, too.

and more, on the ranch, I always need to cut wire and Leathernas suck for that. Whereas a small pair of ViceGrips will cut double-stranded barbed wire easily.

Then, the Swiss Army knife.

My favotire is the "Climber".

Each tool gets used and it has a corkscrew. Gotta have a corkscrew!!!

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4604 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:

It was the ViceGrips multitool. We have 2 we prize. It had a knife and the socket for screwdriver bits and it was hell-for-stout. GREAT tool!

Second best is simply a small set of ViceGrips. As Ironbutt says, it's the pliers/cutter that get the most use for me, too.

and more, on the ranch, I always need to cut wire and Leathernas suck for that. Whereas a small pair of ViceGrips will cut double-stranded barbed wire easily.

Then, the Swiss Army knife.

My favotire is the "Climber".

Each tool gets used and it has a corkscrew. Gotta have a corkscrew!!!

I have to agree with the vice grip carry. Unless you find yourself going to the screwdriver bits constantly pliers and a boyscouts type knife serve 95% of the time.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 3913 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
As far as Swiss Army knives for your sons...I have carried one of these for over 20 years and it has been one of the handiest things I have ever owned...

https://www.amazon.com/Victori...echanic+Pocket+Knife

I bought my grown daughters each one of the following for Christmas...they both preferred scissors over the pliers on mine old one...plus they are easier to keep track of with the color Wink

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 6512 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:

You mean this tool for $15? https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GR...923454/dp/B014UT2VCQ

Posts: 3751 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
quote:

You mean this tool for $15?

No, but I didn't even know that thing existed.

The one I'm thinking of was set up differently, with 2 blades and a screwdriver. It was called the "Toolbox". Fantastic setup.

But hey, that thing you posted isn't too bad tho I don't like the knife blade folding out in such a way that the jaws of the pliers are behind it. Weird.

But overall, if a guy wants pliers and a universal screwdriver setup, that would work.

Didn't know that thing existed. Thanks for posting!

Here's the "Toolbox":

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say pick up a good knife, and buy a leatherman tread. I picked up my tread over a year ago now. I love it. Wear it and use it daily. Pair it with a good knife, i like the lion steel SR2 mini. Lion steel Kur, benchmade 940/940-1 Spyderco PM2.

I have half a dozen multi tool combo's. If i had to pick one, Swiss tool with the mini ratchet. The ratchet height with bit is just under an inch.

Here ya go,
https://www.swissknifeshop.com...W_VZHy6e4BoCFXvw_wcB

Posts: 2780 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Leatherman Crunch is similar with a vice grip that folds out.

Posts: 240 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
The Leatherman Crunch is similar with a vice grip that folds out.

That one is really close, tho I don't know how tough it is compared to the v-grips.

They did screw up a bit tho. Look at the relief cut near the rivet. Why would they do something stupid like that? It might be the wire stripper, but you want your wire cutter slam up against the rivet/pivot pin for maximum leverage and just as importantly ease of use, just shove the thing on the wire and cut, versus having to line it up. It looks like a good tool as far as layout is concerned.

I'll stick with my Vice-Grips tho...for the price, wow, a hundred bucks for something I'll probably break or lose... LOL.

Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The one I'm thinking of was set up differently, with 2 blades and a screwdriver. It was called the "Toolbox". Fantastic setup.

But hey, that thing you posted isn't too bad tho I don't like the knife blade folding out in such a way that the jaws of the pliers are behind it. Weird.

But overall, if a guy wants pliers and a universal screwdriver setup, that would work.

Here's the "Toolbox":

Looking at the pic, I bet you could unscrew the two bolts and swap around the direction of the knife so it sticks out the back/handle side like the tool you have.

Posts: 3751 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Here's the "Toolbox":

Looking at the pic, I bet you could unscrew the two bolts and swap around the direction of the knife so it sticks out the back/handle side like the tool you have.

Thanks!!

For the price I might give that a whirl.