SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Lost my 2003 Benchmade 710 154CM! Getting a Spyderco Para 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost my 2003 Benchmade 710 154CM! Getting a Spyderco Para 2 Login/Join 
posted
I pride myself that I managed to NOT lose this knife despite it being carried in my pocket for well over 10 years! But unfortunately, in an attempt to "save" money on a trip to Florida last month, I shipped my clothes and clipped that knife to a pare of Jeans. It was nice not to need to check a bag for a change! I used UPS out of a UPS Store. Well, the package never showed up. (Before anyone asks; no extra insurance was put on the package but that's another long story)

So I've been searching for weeks for a replacement and I initially settled in on another 710 but I began to read reviews and watch videos on the Para 2 and decided I might try something completely different.

I've never owned a Spyderco before so I hope I like it as much as everyone else seems to! Looking forward to getting it and who knows; maybe someday my package will show up! haha

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rifmon,

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Well, if you love your PM2 as much as I have, you may very well never buy another benchmade. PM2 is the only knife I like more each time I use it. Good luck!

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Really looking forward to the new experience with this knife.

I've owned four Benchmades over the years. Spyderco I knew was a good brand but it was never on my purchase radar until yesterday. I settled in on a stone washed Griptillian or a 940 or a more direct 710 replacement but at the last minute I figured I'd check out Spyderco and glad I did!

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Benchmade makes some super Knives. I have a few myself. Actually the reason I got into Spyderco was because I bought a Mini Grip with the sheepsfoot thumbole blade. The thumbhole was a big "risk" for me because I didn't know if id like it or not as I have been used to the thumb studs to open. Well I fell in love instantly and then started looking at more thumbhole options....which Spyderco is king of. Anyways, I read nothing but positive reviews of the PM2 I got one and I've carried it almost daily for 3.5 years. Quality steel that stays sharp, full flat grind blade that's great for slicing, full sized blade that carries smaller than it is because it's thin and less than 4oz. I recently got the Para 3, which is the same thing just shrunk down a bit and of course it's awesome too. Let us know what you think when you get some carry time with it!

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well rif 10 years is a long time to carry a knife. Not sure if getting something new will fill the void properly ? Cool

That being said the PM2 is a great knife for the money. I have a small blade collection and I do believe that it would be the last one to go.

Yes, let us know how you like it after you have lived it awhile.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Motoboy,

Nice pictures! I will report back and look forward the new experience!

Yes well over 10 years in fact and I am still very surprised I did not lose it. UPS lost it but I did not. One of the things that caught my attention was the ApostleP's review on this one and his description on the great egos and handling characteristics of the PM2. The 710, while an excellent design and huge blade in a compact package, had a not so perfect grip for my hand.

I did enjoy the 154 steel which never rusted despite a few accidental washing machine trips!

How is the PM2 for corrosion resistance?

Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I've never had any rust issues, I also have the black blade though. Buddy of mine has the Blurple version and he hasn't had any issues either.

Posted from my iPhone.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rifmon:
How is the PM2 for corrosion resistance?

I am by no means a knife steel expert but am always learning more.

The PM2 is made with CPM S30V steel and I have always heard that it is a higher end material. The following article seems to suggest that this steel has much higher corrosion resistance than 154.

http://www.dougritter.com/pop_up_cpms30v.htm

Also one of the dings I have heard against the PM2 is it's large handle to blade ratio to which I say huh ????
I have medium sized grippers. I can jam my thumb onto the excellent blade ramp jimping and the handle just seems to lock into my hand.

What model color are you gettin ?

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info! That is an excellent review of the various steels and I'm glad it has a decent corrosion resistance.

I know the light weight of this knife will allow me to forget it's clipped to a pocket and it is sure to make a few trips into the washing machine!

I am getting the black handle with the satin finish. I guess I am not a digital camouflage person. I like my guns and knife all black.

I totally agree about the handle size being a good thing. Just like sub compact pocket pistols vs compacts and full sized; there is a trade off. I like good ergonomics.

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I carried nothing but Benchmades for years & avoided Spydercos because I thought that they just looked strange. After buying a PM2 a few years ago, I've found that in actual use, the non-traditional shapes of most Spydercos make them work just as well as, or in some cases, better than a lot of other modern folders. I've since bought a Native 5 lightweight & a Manix lightweight & like them all.

I have "a few" knives & all my knives are users, so I haven't stopped carrying my Benchmades or other knives, but the PM2 wouldn't be a bad choice if someone could have only one knife.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bench made 940/940-1 or spyderco li-spy are my non auto favorites. Of the larger knives. Lion steel KuR or spyderco pm2.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Enjoy! I think you'll find it's quite capable as an every day knife. I'm carrying one now, and have a backup new in the box just in case, both with the S110V blade. What a cutting tool.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK so to those who have both the black and the camo handle; do you favor the look of one over the other?

I stated earlier that I always like all-black, but I am starting to like the combination of this knife in camo with the satin blade in all the pictures I have seen. It just seems to be a nice blend of colors and shade. Anyone concur? (I know it is 100% subjective) This would be a new one for me getting camouflage!

Also, how is Spyderco's QC on these knives? Any issues?

posted Hide Post
Very good, their quality control has veen very good.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rifmon:
OK so to those who have both the black and the camo handle; do you favor the look of one over the other?

I stated earlier that I always like all-black, but I am starting to like the combination of this knife in camo with the satin blade in all the pictures I have seen. It just seems to be a nice blend of colors and shade. Anyone concur? (I know it is 100% subjective) This would be a new one for me getting camouflage!

Also, how is Spyderco's QC on these knives? Any issues?

Mine is a few years old & is the basic camo/satin S30 blade. The PM2 now comes in a wide variety of handle colors & blade steel options. It makes it kinda hard to choose.

If you get the camo & it bothers you after a while, I've heard that folks have had good results by soaking the handles in black Rit dye overnight.

Spyderco's qc is as good, if not better than other production folders & their cs is supposedly good, but I haven't had to make use of it.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rit dye overnight? wow never would've thought that would work!

I am thinking to get mine from Knifeworks so I know their customer service is good. If I get the camo and I don't like it, I can exchange it as long as I don't use it. I'm thinking I will like it though.

posted Hide Post
Have you looked for the carbon fiber military? Photo to come.

posted Hide Post
Nice pictures of a lot of great knives. Thanks!

The carbon fiber looks like a good option but seems to be difficult to come by and probably more expensive.

You also have the camo and the more I see that version, the more it seems to be growing on me. Which I am surprised at since I never was drawn to a non essential camo; not in the military and do not need that color; but it sure is an interesting look and like I said earlier, the camp is a great blend to the satin steel.

posted Hide Post
Just an FYI in case you didn't know (I didn't see it mentioned earlier in the thread), Benchmade has discontinued the 710. You might consider picking one up now before they become harder and/or more expensive to obtain.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I know that. Very unfortunate. Knife works still has their special with the multi colored G10 handle and upgraded steel. I was going that direction when I decided to try something completely different and landed on this choice. I wish I could buy both but the amount is too much.

It is a difficult choice but a necessary one.