SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    I have a Small Sebenza on my mind
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a Small Sebenza on my mind Login/Join 
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted
and I'm having trouble talking myself out of it. I've researched it and read the reviews. Most say it is a tremendous knife and a small minority say it is very overpriced. What do you think? It is a lot of money to spend on a knife. Is it the best value for that price? Thanks

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
When I first bought mine I questioned why I spent so much. Then the more I carried it, the more I loved it. I know it's a big expense, but in my mind it was worth every penny.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I had one. It was a very well fitted and executed folder, but at the end of the day it just didn't do anything extra for me that my higher end Spyderco's didn't do so I sold it. Plus it was so expensive I didn't want to EDC it and muck it up.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I bought a used small Sebenza a couple of years ago. After carrying it for 18 months or so, I sent it off to the factory for a spa treatment. I also ordered the calfskin pouch.

I still love it, but have reverted to carrying my mini CQC7 or Mini A-100.

The Sebenza is built like a bank vault and well worth the $, IMO.

Will the Sebenza do anything my other knives will not? No. But it is a very, very nice knife to have.

I do not think you will be disappointed with a decision to buy one.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
A small Sebenza was my daily carry for years.
I haven't carried it in forever, but it's such a simple, beautiful little knife I don't ever foresee getting rid of it.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I bought my First CR Sebenza (small) as a investment, but after I picked it up, I thought life is too short to not use/carry it.

I have been EDC with it for almost 2 years and I have never looked back.

It is a great knife and the price was well worth it.

Are there better and cheaper knives, maybe but I have been nothing but happy with it.

I would say get one and enjoy it.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're curious you should just try one. It's the only way you'll scratch the itch. I recommend buying used (BladeForums Exchange is the best place). There are lots of good deals on nice knives there and if you don't like it you'll minimize a lose when selling it.

I went down the same path over the past few months. For me it was a very slippery slope. I avoid the Chris Reeve section over there now so I'm not tempted. I put some information in this thread and I've been several YouTube videos about Chris Reeve knives that might be helpful.

Overall I think Chris Reeve knives are great. I carry a Sebenza 25 and small 21 regularly but most of mine are just for collecting. As much as I like them, if it's strictly a user I think you will be just as well served by something from Benchmade, Spyderco, or Zero Tolerance. For my money Zero Tolerance has the best thing going. Their knives are rock solid and they've got some really great designs. The ZT 0900 is the best all-around titanium frame lock I've got out of about 25 from Benchmade, Spyderco, and Chris Reeve. Still, if you're interested then you need to try a Sebenza.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is an Insingo Micarta. It is absolutely a knife I will never get rid of. I've had several CRK knives, and I've traded or sold a few. This one stays.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
I owned a small Sebenza for a couple years. Loved everything about it .......except, it was impossible to put a shaving edge on it.

While visiting a knife manufacturing business, the CEO said he could put a sharp edge on it. He attempted to, while sitting at his desk. End result, the edge was no sharper after he finished.

I sold the knife and said I would never buy another.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a beautiful knife and well past the point of deminishing returns when considering value. It's a step above the others and midway between a production \ custom knife.

I justified it by quitting Starbucks and buying a nice knife with the money I saved. It's an incredibly good investment when compared to an overpriced cup of coffee.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
I splurged and bought a KnifeArt CF Sebenza, it's everything I thought it would be but I haven't carrying it one time, it's a safe queen.... Having said that, I found a liking to Spyderco Sprint runs, HAP40 Endure is in my pocket daily and I use it for literally cutting everything I need to in my kitchen work... Also love the Paramil and Mil in S110V and 51200... It's not a Sebbie but I love them for EDC and using them.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I bought a used small Insingo Sebenza on Bladeforums a couple of months ago and have really enjoyed it. Added it to my EDC setup and use it pretty often. Very well made and smooth. Not quite as quick to open as some of my others that I carry (typically a BM Axis of some type). However, opening it and hearing it lock-up reminds me of listening to a nice revolver lock-up when the hammer is cocked.

I did replace the pocket clip with an MXG Gear deep carry pocket clip.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My frustration with CRK is that the full size is too big and the small is too small. Just call me Goldilocks, I guess.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is a tremendous knife, and also overpriced, at least to me.

Everyone has to decide what they are worth. I'd rather put Sebenza dollars into a handmade knife, and think that for a factory knife, $150 to $200 gets you close enough to Reeves' quality that the extra $200 isn't worth it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^I agree. There are some really excellent knives available for $200 and less that will serve someone just as well as a Sebenza or maybe better for some uses. So many knives are available for great prices on the secondary market that have hardly been used. If you go that route you can easily get two or three great knives from Benchmade, ZT, etc. for the average used price of a Sebenza. Then you have a more diverse set a tools whether you might want a couple of different sizes or just a backup. For most people that's really the route I'd recommend. I've got 14 Chris Reeve knives so I'm not a "hater". I just don't think the value is there for a user. Now if you collect or you really want to check one out, you just have to jump in.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two factors to consider that some others have pointed out. 1) If you buy used you can pretty much guarantee you can get your money back out of it if you decide to sell, and 2) with the CRK spa treatment you can always send it in and get back a "like new" knife. So for these reasons I carry and use my plain Sebenzas everyday. Ones with special graphics I tend to just collect and admire.

Posts: 202 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: November 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, the spa treatment is amazing. My small Sebenza looks like new!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
What's that saying?? Oh yea

Love my small Sebenza. Buy what makes YOU happy!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a knife of similar design in a lower price range? Always liked the design but could never justify the cost

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Is there a knife of similar design in a lower price range? Always liked the design but could never justify the cost

Check out the Bradley Alias knife.

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post