SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    A Folder from Bob Kramer...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Folder from Bob Kramer... Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
I like it!

http://kramerknives.cmail19.co...CF976CBD507C784BD83B

From the website:
We are excited to announce the arrival of a new product to our in-house line of Kramer Knives. The idea was planted as a seed a few years back while serving as a judge for Cochon 555 in Aspen. Fellow judge Andrew Zimmern leaned over and said, "Someday I hope to have a Bob Kramer folding knife to use to sample produce". Fast forward three years including a collaboration with Master Bladesmith Tom Ferry, and we are now bringing you the Kramer Picnic Knife.

This knife has now become my everyday carrying knife, bringing the high performance our customers expect in the kitchen to a folder. It's a simple folding knife of AEBL Straight Stainless Steel with a carbon fiber handle. Best of all there is a bottle opener built into the butt of the blade for those unexpected bottle opening times - you can never be too prepared. It is a "friction" folder, so it doesn't have a "lock". When using this knife you'll need to pay attention.

The Kramer Picnic Knife is a limited run to test the waters, so if you are interested act quickly. If interest is strong, we'll definitely make more!!

100% made in U.S.A.

Price: $350 (includes USPS Priority shipping to U.S.)

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Svelt!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I got that e-mail. He isn't shy about the price, is he?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I suppose that qualifies as a gentleman's folder especially at that price.

Nice modern carbon fiber handle. Is it on both sides?

How long is the blade? I don't see it specified on the website.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I've had a very similar William Henry knife (carbon fiber scales, friction lock with the bar coming off the back of the blade, just no bottle opener) for several years.

I like the knife, but you have to be pretty careful not to snap the blade shut on your fingers while you're using it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the knife, but you have to be pretty careful not to snap the blade shut on your fingers while you're using it.

They just did a second release yesterday, sold out already. I'll be watching my fingers..... Wink

Dimensions, in reply to message above:

quote:
Dimensions:
Closed: 5 3/4" (including bottle opener)
Open: 8 5/8"
Blade Length: 3 3/4"
Handle: 4 3/4"

Of course in the spirit of truly crazy prices, he's also offering each of these below. Rather than an auction, just set the price at $3,500 each. You enter your name to purchase, they select one at 10:00 this morning.

Sorry if the late notice means a buyer here missed out.... Eek

While tempting, uh, no.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of his Damascus knives 5 years ago and felt like the companion knife will be good when these get passed on. Well, technically got two chef knives, but had to sell one to make the other remotely affordable to a mere mortal.

Yes, I use it every chance I get. Not every day, but if it's a cooking day it gets used for everything other than hacking bones!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
In the spirit of a new watch unboxing tradition, captured a couple pics after it arrived today.

As expected incredible attention to detail, sharp as a razor. Wasn't sure I'd like the opener and still may not for carrying, but it does serve one great purpose; when blade is open, the natural position of your hand places your thumb or index finger over the opener, helping to provide some reinforcement to keep the blade open. Not sure if that was intended or coincidence, but neat.

The knife does have a defect, and one that Bob actually acknowledges in a letter included with the knife offering a refund (not a replacement!) if wanted. You can see it in one of the pictures below, and it apparently affected all the knives. Bonus points for picking it out. No, this is not a knife karma now!

Hint - it's related to the challenges Bob has that got him into knife making to begin with. No fair if you've already seen this on a knife forum!

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bonus points for picking it out. No, this is not a knife karma now!

I'm going with the front pin isn't centered on the scale.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Hadn't noticed the pin, but that wasn't it.

Now I've got to see if there's some visible reason for that too tho...

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Bob is dyslexic, which presented some challenges in his earlier job choices, ultimately leading him to this area of expertise.

If you look closely at the side of the blade opposite that with the Kramer logo, he's engraved these with the words:

"Frist Run 2016"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Bob is dyslexic, which presented some challenges in his earlier job choices, ultimately leading him to this area of expertise.

If you look closely at the side of the blade opposite that with the Kramer logo, he's engraved these with the words:

"Frist Run 2016"

Ahh, that wouldn't bother me in the least if they were all like that. He might want to have a strong word with his proof reader though.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
No thanks, especially at that price. I do love his kitchen knives, just can't justify the expense.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
As much as I might like to imagine that my hand-made Damascus knife might be worth real money, and my folder might not lose value as fast as a Porsche, some people really, REALLY need to put down the crackpipe.....

$1,000 - uuuuhhhh, no.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Just in case anybody "missed out" on the last run, and wants one without the bottle opener and with a lock:

New run of Kramer folders - $425!!!

Never mind - got email 3 hours ago, sold out already.