SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Ontario Survival Knife 499 - $22 at Walmart
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ontario Survival Knife 499 - $22 at Walmart Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
$21.76 + tax if you order online for pick-up in the store. Currently $31.69 at Amazon and $44.95 at KnifeCenter. Blade is carbon steel - Walmart incorrectly says stainless. I just ordered one.

Link to Walmart

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I ordered one this morning but it looks like they have bumped up the price since then.
Still a good knife for the money.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
$38.45 at the link you posted. They'll knock off 38 cents for store pick up, though. That escalated quickly. Wink

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Wow. The discount basically evaporated and the price went up. Maybe it was a mistake. I don't have mine yet.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Mine is supposed to be here today but it still shows as processing, not shipped and no charge yet on my cc.
Walmart still shows them as available and in stock, just at the higher price with no discount.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Mine is still processing also. Was supposed to have it today.

I've got a feeling we might be getting a $5 gift card, and maybe not the knife.

I bought about $3 worth of fishing sinkers and Walmart emailed me a $5 gift card because the sinkers did not arrive when they said they would.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Seems like for the money it would cost them, it would be better to just sell them to us that bought when the price was lowest.
I suspect you may be right though.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Don't be surprised at the quick price corrections. I believe Amazon has tools that continuously scan and calibrate for vendors. Walmart at one time had a computer system on par if not better than the pentagon.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Mine never arrived.
So after waiting a few more days, as their customer no service recommended, I tried to get it resolved with their online help. That was a runaround and after several attempts to get it corrected I called the phone help.
They had me place another order and then corrected the price.
If I was getting paid by the hour I'd be really in the hole. Needless to say, this will be my last Walmart.com purchase. They seem to be trying to compete with the other online retailers but don't grasp that there's more to it than setting up a web site. Things like actual good service seem beyond their understanding.
Hopefully, this second attempt at an order will arrive.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I just called. The rep said it must have been a pricing or discount error and per the terms and conditions they have a right not to fulfill. He agreed to send me a $10 gift card, and we cancelled the order. Bummer, I'd rather have the knife, but only bought if for the price.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I had contact with 4 different rep's. Got 4 different answers.
The last one agreed to adjust a new order to the original discount price. It's showing up on my credit card, unlike the first one so I have my fingers crossed.
I had saved a copy of the original order and glad I did as they all claimed it couldn't have been the correct price.
The latest order is supposed to be here Thursday. We'll see.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Is your knife ready? I'm still waiting for my $10 email gift card.

What pisses me off more is it seems like suddenly Walmart no longer carries their Rustler relaxed fit jeans in the store, and if you want to order them the only option is ship to home with a shipping charge. They are made by Wrangler and equal to Wrangler 5 Stars and superior in that the zipper is longer, the way pants used to be.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Finally shows up as shipped today 5/19 from NY to the store.

Amazon.com has nothing to worry about at this point.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I just called. The rep said it must have been a pricing or discount error and per the terms and conditions they have a right not to fulfill. He agreed to send me a $10 gift card, and we cancelled the order. Bummer, I'd rather have the knife, but only bought if for the price.

No, they don't have a right not to fulfill.

Truth in Advertising is still a thing.

If they advertise that price (and hedge it by saying "subject to availability, as is often the case), they're still advertising that price, and at a minimum should offer a raincheck for the item at that price, if you ordered before the price was taken down.

They have a legal obligation, especially if others obtained the knife for that price.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

If they advertise that price (and hedge it by saying "subject to availability, as is often the case), they're still advertising that price, and at a minimum should offer a raincheck for the item at that price, if you ordered before the price was taken down.

They have a legal obligation, especially if others obtained the knife for that price.
Truth in Advertising deals with claims made about a product.

"6. PRICING INFORMATION
Walmart cannot confirm the price of an item until after your order is placed. Pricing errors may occur on the Walmart Sites or through Walmart Marketplace retailers. Walmart reserves the right to cancel any orders containing pricing errors, with no further obligations to you, even after your receipt of an order confirmation or shipping notice from Walmart. Walmart may, at its discretion, either contact you for instructions or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation."

Walmart.com Terms of Use

I called again today - still haven't received the $10 e-gift card.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Never say never.
It finally showed up yesterday.
In fact, the second order that took five contacts to make them honor the original deal, and the first one that they said to cancel because it wouldn't ever ship, both arrived.
Only took 15 days for the two day shipping but what the heck.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, but the practical reality is that you can't/won't sue them over a $20 knife.

The price is now $40.60.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Yes, but the practical reality is that you can't/won't sue them over a $20 knife.

The price is now $40.60.

I'm sure you're right from a legal standpoint. But my guess is that Walmart, the largest retailer in the world, is dipping their toes into Amazon's water. They can see the writing on the wall and want to blend their physical presence, that the big online retailers don't have, with the online market that they don't own now.
My admittedly limited experience of one transaction is that they don't have a clue how to do it or what motivates online buyers.
Will they figure it out, and continue their success or become Kmart, time will tell.

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I don't give them money. They are a parasite.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever had this knife in question in hand? It is a monumental piece of crap. Poor construction, poor temper, cheap steel. Takes a decent edge but immediately gives it back under any use. They used to put these in military flyers survival vests. It's cheap for a reason. You guys are spending more time than these are worth at any price point.

Posts: 7345 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post