SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Knife Steel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife Steel Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
Used one for the past 50 yrs.....Have no idea how one is made, how hard it is. Or of what type steel is used to make one. My Google fu has let me down on finding this most of critical important info. Info that just might save us all!! Smile

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Huh?

There are dozens of steels used by knife makers.

What are you asking?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I think he is talking about a honing steel (though I may be mistaken), which is a bit of a misnomer since they don't hone, they just realign the edge.

I pulled this off of Wusthoff's site.

quote:
WÜSTHOF honing steels are made from hard chromium plated steel with a hardness of 65 Rockwell. All honing steels are produced from an alloy tool steel (material no. 2210) with 1.15%C (carbon) content, .6% chromium and .03% vanadium.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Oh, that makes sense. That never occurred to me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fla. Jim are you speaking of the Buck model 137 sharping steel? It was made in the late 70's - early 80's, now discontinued. Some times found on ebay or at knife shows. It was flat with a fine and coarse side and had a clamp handle to hold it. Came in a leather sheath.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
As I am somewhat dyslectic and usually speak my way all around a idea! Yes I was referring to the honing steel's like this one.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Got me too

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ceramic ones are better and they don't wear out.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Ceramic ones are better and they don't wear out.
I guess it's a matter of preference. The hone is just to touch up the edge by straightening the edge rather than removing material, and I've found that my knives can be remade sharp as the bajeezus with just a few strokes. When that won't work anymore, then I break out the stones.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post