SIGforum
Knife Steel

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/4480023054

December 01, 2018, 09:04 PM
Fla. Jim
Knife Steel
Used one for the past 50 yrs.....Have no idea how one is made, how hard it is. Or of what type steel is used to make one. My Google fu has let me down on finding this most of critical important info. Info that just might save us all!! Smile
December 03, 2018, 09:41 AM
jhe888
Huh?

There are dozens of steels used by knife makers.

What are you asking?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
December 03, 2018, 10:11 AM
Otto Pilot
I think he is talking about a honing steel (though I may be mistaken), which is a bit of a misnomer since they don't hone, they just realign the edge.

I pulled this off of Wusthoff's site.

quote:
WÜSTHOF honing steels are made from hard chromium plated steel with a hardness of 65 Rockwell. All honing steels are produced from an alloy tool steel (material no. 2210) with 1.15%C (carbon) content, .6% chromium and .03% vanadium.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon
December 03, 2018, 11:42 AM
jhe888
Oh, that makes sense. That never occurred to me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
December 03, 2018, 04:14 PM
sig operator
Fla. Jim are you speaking of the Buck model 137 sharping steel? It was made in the late 70's - early 80's, now discontinued. Some times found on ebay or at knife shows. It was flat with a fine and coarse side and had a clamp handle to hold it. Came in a leather sheath.
December 03, 2018, 04:53 PM
Fla. Jim
As I am somewhat dyslectic and usually speak my way all around a idea! Yes I was referring to the honing steel's like this one.

December 05, 2018, 04:27 AM
sybo
Got me too
December 16, 2018, 08:48 AM
Scurvy
Ceramic ones are better and they don't wear out.
December 17, 2018, 11:17 PM
Otto Pilot
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Ceramic ones are better and they don't wear out.
I guess it's a matter of preference. The hone is just to touch up the edge by straightening the edge rather than removing material, and I've found that my knives can be remade sharp as the bajeezus with just a few strokes. When that won't work anymore, then I break out the stones.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon