SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Opinel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinel Login/Join 
posted
Grandson just got his Cub Scout Whittling Chip so we got him an Opinel with a raw handle.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I carried one of those in high school, back before it was a crime to do so.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a number 6 quite regularly.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always liked Opinels. Simple, functional, good quality blades, inexpensive.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have one, probably a No.8 in carbon steel. It takes an edge like a straight razor.

The locking ring takes some breaking in, and works better when it is lightly lubed.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They are the best knife for the least money. A truly great value. Good steel, thin grinds. Reliable, solid locks. They cut like crazy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Put some petroleum jelly on a toothpick or matchstick and rub it into the pivot. Lubrication and a little water resistance for the wood around the pivot screw.

I like to rub a little furniture wax on my wood handles. I use Mylands Clear Wax on my Axe handles and whatnot, as it's cheaper then Renaissance Wax.

Also, consider taking it from him after he's had it for a while, and get him something else after he's "lost" it. Present it to him later when he gets his Eagle Scout.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Put some petroleum jelly on a toothpick or matchstick and rub it into the pivot. Lubrication and a little water resistance for the wood around the pivot screw.

I like to rub a little furniture wax on my wood handles. I use Mylands Clear Wax on my Axe handles and whatnot, as it's cheaper then Renaissance Wax.

Also, consider taking it from him after he's had it for a while, and get him something else after he's "lost" it. Present it to him later when he gets his Eagle Scout.

We got the raw handle so he can customize it himself. As far as Eagle goes, that's up to him. The Leaders responsibility is to get the boys to First Class, the rest is up to the boys. If he gets Eagle, there is a Springfield trapdoor with his name on it.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
I keep an Opinel in the kitchen. It is the go to knife to open packages and whatnot. Good knife for it. Like jhe888 said, good knife for the money.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They are the best knife for the least money. A truly great value. Good steel, thin grinds. Reliable, solid locks. They cut like crazy.

Yep. I have a couple of them in different sizes.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post