SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    New chefs knife - Hitachi 1085. How do I care for it? Pictures added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New chefs knife - Hitachi 1085. How do I care for it? Pictures added Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
I was at the right place and right time and was able to buy a custom chefs knife from Jason Knight.

I’ll have it Monday and will post pictures.

Do I oil the blade after washing and drying? What oil should I use?

Thanks all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jeff Yarchin,

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i make a ton of carbon steel chef blades. my advice is to just use a food quality oil on them after cleaning and never put them in the dishwasher. you would be surprised how many toss a $500 knife in the dishwasher.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Wow, I’d never do that with my knives. Thanks Dozer.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on getting a knife from Jason. He's a really good guy and a great maker. I'd second Dozer, good information.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dozer:
i make a ton of carbon steel chef blades. my advice is to just use a food quality oil on them after cleaning and never put them in the dishwasher. you would be surprised how many toss a $500 knife in the dishwasher.

This. Especially not the dishwasher.

I have a number of high quality chef's knives, but the one that works the best and holds its edge longer is an inexpensive carbon steel Chinese cleaver. Even if you don't care for them, I recommend every kitchen have one.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I also suggest a “Taco” style cardboard sleeve/ sheath/ edge protector, made from a cardboard box, as many knives of cool shapes don’t always fit in a block. It will wick away moisture, leather, NO it will harbor the moisture! Congratulations on a cool new piece!! Can’t wait to see it!!! Food grade oil also really helps.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
never put them in the dishwasher

What is it about this concept that most wives don't seem to grasp?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
quote:
never put them in the dishwasher

What is it about this concept that most wives don't seem to grasp?

Or cutting on a ceramic plate!

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Shipped from eastern TN to western, NC via USPS Priority. That is about 70 miles.

So far its 8 days in transit. Ugh.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Hope no one realized what might be in the package.... Red Face Tossing good vibes your way that it will be delivered very soon! Then we need PICS!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
It's a beast! I love it, fits perfectly in my hand.

I was wrong about the steel. It's Hitachi 1085.

Same care as 1095? Thanks guys.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous knife Jeff!!!!!! Those are hard to come by. Congratulations!! Yes your knife should be cared for much like 1095. In the South where we live you can blink and get rust on high carbon steel. Good news though. It appears that your knife is finely finished. Meaning the surface was taken to a high finish and not much open pores of the metal. A knife finished to 400 will rust pronto, where a highly polished knife will resist much longer.
Also there appears to have a forced patina applied also. Some Ferric Chloride time gives the blade the darker grey/black “satiny” finish that actually, even though it’s controlled “ rusting” it will help inhibit rusting as long as proper neutralizing has been performed, which I am sure he did.
There is a product called Renaissance wax, used in museums to protect from oxidation. I have never had a problem with an off taste or any other properties that oils, even food grade, sometime produce. Some people swear by pure Coconut oil, I believe it is a key ingredient in Frog lube. The biggest task is making sure it is THOROUGHLY dried off after cleansing. Then one of the above treatments. You truly have a beautiful piece. From time to time I would also suggest to use some Paste wax- (floor) and a good buff on the wood. Any questions, holler my friend!!!! Enjoy that cutter⚔️

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sybo! I appreciate the info, thanks for taking the time..

I find myself looking for things to cut... Big Grin

It made short work of a clove of garlic, a tomato and a cucumber. It took very little more than the blade's weight to slice the tomato.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post