SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    DogMan Bowie-Liontribe Designs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DogMan Bowie-Liontribe Designs Login/Join 
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted
i posted a couple of pics in an older thread, but i know lots of folks don't check back on old threads, so i wanted to post about this build in it's own thread. i know lots of you guys like the file knife designs and i am really pleased with this smaller bowie design. it is a WIP since i haven't finished the handle just yet. it should be fully finished this coming week. i went with a very dark etched finish that came out charcoal grey and bronze. hard to capture the colors in my bad pics, but it is very attractive in person.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Oh, big, big double-thumbs up! Cool

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks, i hope the handle works out. i am planning chocolate barbwire micarta bolsters with a black barbwire micarta balance. finished with small brass pins for a touch of tradition. working on that right now, but we have some weather moving in this weekend from the storm in the gulf. will post some pics of it when i get further along with the handle.

dozer

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
That’s slick! I like it

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks, this time of year always makes me want to do a few outdoor type designs.

dozer

posted Hide Post
Looks like a very stylish and super functional design. Well done.

What is the blade & OAL?

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
much appreciated. the overall length is 8.5" and the blade is 3.75".

dozer

Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dozer:
much appreciated. the overall length is 8.5" and the blade is 3.75".

dozer

That's a good size for a defensive knife for IWB carry. And for clarification, I don't recommend the knife as a primary defensive weapon; but current philosophy advocates for a blade as a "get off me" tool to allow access to the firearm or to defend against an attempt to take the firearm. That size and Bowie design suits the purpose.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
yeah, i thought it would be a nice general size for many tasks. handy little belt knife for any occasion.

dozer

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
the Dogman is done now. it really came together well. very happy with this one. almost don't want to sell this piece.

dozer

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
That is exquisite! A very fine looking blade

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thank you, my friend. i am pretty happy with this design. i can see it becoming a standard model. love the bowie style knives.

dozer

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
working up another Dogman bowie variant this weekend. the handle is a bit different on this new one. i found a nice file of the right size for this one. this file is pretty thick, though. trying to decide if i should put a thin handle on this one with the tang skeletonized to keep the balance correct, OR i might just leave the tang naked and jazz it up a bit with some tang holes, heavily chamfered edges, etc. what do you guys think?

dozer

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I vote for a handle. The example you posted last year looks amazing

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks and i agree. this one will be getting a very nice handle. i will post up some pics when it is done.

dozer

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
finally got this one finished up. just needs the final sharpening. we went with faux antique ivory with thick black micarta liners and large copper pins.

dozer

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
That is super nice!

Regards,

P.

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thank you, my friend. that antique ivory really came to life once it was brought up to 600gr and polished.

dozer

Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Wow! Well done.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
much appreciated. i have another set of these faux ivory scales. i have to find a knife to put them on now. here are a couple more shots in different lighting. notice the great, new business cards. those were designed and printed by our great forum friend, @pbramlett. can't thank him enough.

dozer

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dozer,