SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Top 25 Pocket Knives That Are Indispensable
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top 25 Pocket Knives That Are Indispensable Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

I haven't seen this posted here before. I just ran across this the other day.

http://knifenews.com/tag/top-2...sable-pocket-knives/

It looks like a pretty good list, although IMO, the ZT 0350 should be in the top 10. I also think the Benchmade 710 should be on the list. Anyway, I thought some folks here would get a kick out of it. Feel free to post what knives you believe belong on the list, and which ones don't.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I own more than a few of the knives listed, and I can't argue with the list. I will say that I'm impressed they didn't pack it with >$200 knives, the mix of high end and very affordable is impressive.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm running behind.
I've only got 5 of them.
Close on a few others...I do have a mini CQC-7, but not standard size, and I have a Benchmade 943, but not 940

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did pretty good.

PM2 ya duh!

S Delica

CS Recon 1

K Skyline

S Manix 2

O Rat 1

CS Voyager

And missed the ZT listing with my 0566.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I own, or have owned all the Spydercos on the list, and I would tend to agree. My PM2 in S110V was so impressive, I bought a second one as a backup. And then another to set aside for my son for a special occasion when he's older. The sharpest factory edge I've ever had on a knife, scary sharp. It's carries so well and is so smooth quick to open, feels great in the hand. The lock is incredibly stout. The thing cuts effortlessly and holds and edge a long time. What's not to love about it?

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I have 13 of the knives on the list.
I'd get rid of the cold steels, the ZT's, the CRKT M16, and the Paramilitary2.

The Benchmade 710 should be on that list, and one of the Spyderco hawkbills.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I'll throw in another vote that the 710 should be on that list.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12/25

Guess that's not too bad.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15 for me over the years, 12 currently in the stable. Get rid of number 20

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really surprised by the list. There's an obvious bias towards newer stuff beyond a few home run evergreen products.

Not at all surprised to see the 710 missing. It's large and it's mostly been replaced as the best Benchmade by the 940.

It's a non-offensive list with as wide of a breadth as possible. I don't know how else to explain the presence of 3 Cold Steel pieces. Other than that, it's hard to argue. I'm sure if you made a list of the top selling knives, it would look close to this list.

Biggest snub to me was the ZT0450.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Buck 110/112 and my Swiss Army.

I never go anywhere without my trusty SAK.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34083 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is knifenews owned by knifecenter? It's hard for me to take a list seriously when all the products are available and directly linked to a place to purchase them from the sponsor.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've only got one on that list my openel.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post

All one needs.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Is knifenews owned by knifecenter? It's hard for me to take a list seriously when all the products are available and directly linked to a place to purchase them from the sponsor.

I don't believe they are the same but websites that generate content require sponsorship/advertisements.

Every knife on that list can be found at literally any reputable knife dealer. BladeHQ, GPKnives, Knifeworks, etc etc etc will all have every knife on that list. A good local brick and mortar knife store or a gun shop with a good knife selection will have them. Amazon would have them all. Wal-Mart, Dicks, Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas and other big box stores would probably have the vast majority of them outside of like a Sebenza, Microtech, Opinel.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few of these. I would switch the Kershaw Leek for the Keshaw Scallion. Little more compact. I have had one for several years and I probably carry it more than any of my other 25 + knives. It isn't the "best" knife I own but all around for comfort of carry, edge retention and ease of sharpening, consistent working spring assisted opening (I have to take apart and clean lint and pub like once every 2 years then back to new) it tends to be in my pocket the most.

Posts: 2132 | Location: Washington | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

All one needs.

Pretty much. But I also have #6.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I only have three from the list....

#1 Spyderco Paramilitaty 2
#2 Buck 110 Folding Hunter
#23 Victorinox Cadet

And I'm OK with that! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Not at all surprised to see the 710 missing. It's large and it's mostly been replaced as the best Benchmade by the 940.

I have a 940 and two 710s. I almost never carry the 940 and one of the 710s is the knife I carry the most.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chewbackup
posted Hide Post
Great little list there, I am in already for more of them then I would like to admit! The Spyderco PM2 is awesome, and I'll take my trusty Buck 110 any day of the week in my belt pouch!

I love my wife, kids, dogs, Sigs, and Glocks, knives--In no particular order!

Posts: 690 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post