SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    San Mai Damascus love!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Mai Damascus love!! Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
https://imgur.com/a/UaVt0Ef

Had another billet of San Mai I haven’t gotten around to playing with till today. Off to heat treat tomorrow, when it returns we’ll find out what patterning we have inside!! It’s like a box of Cracker Jacks! Surprise inside!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
very nice. i have been wanting to get some good San Mai for a new model i am working on. love the look when finished.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait too see the finished product, looks like a knife id like to own.

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sybo, I'm trying to understand what I'm looking at here. My experience with san mai is in relation to japanese cutlery where the harder cutting edge steel is sandwiched between softer metal like iron or stainless. I don't see a hamon line in your pic (hamon not the right term but you get my meaning). Can I assume that the damascus pattern and separation of the jacket and core steel will show themselves after the heat treat? Or am I completely off base in what I'm looking at?

Thanks

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
The patterning will show after a nice bath in Ferric Chloride, followed by TSP and then Instant coffee.. that's all u get... wink wink

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
decaf or regular Smile

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
LMAO!!!!!!!! Cool

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nice. I like the blade shape too. Nice gloves btw.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Lol, gloves don’t last long in my shop ......... Wink

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/a/bkFXKXM
A peek at what is to come!! This steel is amazing! This blade just became available!
Fresh from heat treat and not even cleaned or etched yet!!!!!!!

Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn’t even know what San Mai was until earlier this week my brother sent a photo of a one off Medford Infraction done in this Steel that he just bought. Very cool.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Hope to have finished pics this weekend!!

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
That's some pretty steel!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the design!!

Matthew Logan

Posts: 414 | Location: NC | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post