SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Schrade SCHF3N any good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schrade SCHF3N any good? Login/Join 
posted
Thinking of adding to my slowly developing go bag, is this a good economical choice?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Schrade SCHF3N

No experience with that model but I’d up the budget and go for a Becker BK2 or BK16. The 2 is a heavy “little” knife that you could build a house with. The 16 isn’t quite as heavy duty but will handle a lot. I get going economic for stuffing in a bag you hope to never need but should that day come it has to be gear that will do what you need.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with this specific model, but I put the Schrade SCHF56LM through its paces last summer on a couple camping and hiking trips.
The 56LM comes with 1095 carbon steel, which I would rate higher than the steel of the SCHF3N. Easier to sharpen.
One caveat, try to look at any Schrade in person before buying. The QC isn't that great, and the variance between examples of the same model can be a bit glaring.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to some knife forums and cruise their for sale threads. You can get some bargains and get much better knives than Schrade. Everyone will tell you a good heat treat on lower end steel beats high end steel with so so HT. All true. Got to figure out what you need the knife for. 1095 is a good carbon steel, no frills, tough, no stain resistance at all. If you GO bag one, force a patina and keep it waxed or lubed because it still rust easier than stainless.

Seriously, go buy used. More knife for the money.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post