SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    So, Morakniv is now offering full tang knives, but they're...a hundred bucks??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, Morakniv is now offering full tang knives, but they're...a hundred bucks?? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
90 street price

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...e-multi-mount-sheath

You can buy a Morakniv basic model for 12 or 15 bucks, but they have very abbreviated stick tangs. So, now Morankiv offers a full tang knife, and for that extra bit of steel, the price has gone through the roof. WTF?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
At a glance, it looks like that plus an upgraded blade steel and sheath, handle texture seems improved and the grind looks a bit different. Maybe not enough to make the difference from $30-$90, but upgrades from the base model all the same.

Here’s a demo from a factory rep at a show, can’t figure out how embed from mobile, my apologies:
https://youtu.be/o0ZX7-KTV48

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wow. So far I have had no problems with my traditional stub tang Morakniv. Considering the $75 extra cost for a full tang one I’ll just keep using what I have.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a Big fan of Mora knives in General I picked up a Garberg. It's a good knife but unless you insist on pounding things with the hilt of a knife (which is a horrible idea anyway) the full tang isn't going to give you any real advantage in performance over the nearly indestructible handles of regular Mora knives.

I also much prefer the longer finger guard of the Bushcraft. All in all I think the Mora Bushcraft is a better knife than the Garberg for less money. Budget buyers should look at the Mora heavy duty.

I think the Garberg is best for serious Mora nuts that have to have one of each, people that really believe a full tang is the only way to make a knife and people who prefer the profile of the Garberg grip. I think most of us will find the Bushcraft Survival knife a better tool.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Uh, no thanks. I'd rather buy a handful of regular Moras.

I love my beater Moras. Use them, abuse them, and just toss them when/if they break (though I have yet to do that).

They even make a cheap chisel that works well for scraping and rough carpentry work.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I think they are just trying to capitalize on the bushcrafting craze and all the YouTube reviews telling viewers they *must* have a full tang knife with a 90 degree spine, or else you will die in the wilderness. Bunk.

I love my Mora companion for what it is, and heartily recommend it. For the money of the Garberg, I'll stick with my ESEE's with lifetime, no questions asked guarantee.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
They are only $74 on Amazon and you get a free cheapo sharpener thrown in.. https://www.amazon.com/HELIKON...270&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
They are only $74 on Amazon and you get a free cheapo sharpener thrown in.. https://www.amazon.com/HELIKON...270&s=gateway&sr=8-4

That offer seems fair.
Never considered a mora before, might find a way to rationalize it now.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
As mentioned it is a slightly better quality steel then their other models and has a slightly more quality design.

Still for a mora it seems a bit steep when your in the Esee price range.

I always have a hard time with fixed blades when for 150 your looking at some truly high quality blades, why waste time under that price?

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moras selling point is- They're great knives for $12. Seems like they own the $12 market.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Moras selling point is- They're great knives for $12. Seems like they own the $12 market.

That's my thought. They are an unbelievable value in their low price range. I'd look long and hard before paying something near $100. But who knows; if they can make a great knife for 12-15 dollars, maybe they make a great(er) knife for more.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Day be trippin

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Gateway Knife, LOL

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post