SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Knife display case! Where do you store your knives?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife display case! Where do you store your knives? Login/Join 
Picture of blueshep
posted
Been looking for some kind of display case to put all my knives in, found the perfect one today in a antique store but the guy wouldn't sell it! What do some of you use for storage or display?

----------------------------------------
NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 1467 | Location: Northeast,Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

Store mine in a Gerstner Machinist chest, that's older than I am. I love the grain of the quarter sawn oak. Took me a few years to find one, but it was worth it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blueshep
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I'm going to hit up a couple more antiqu shops and see if I can get lucky.

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 1467 | Location: Northeast,Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t call it a display, but I keep all my folders in cigar boxes. The cigar boxes actually work out really well and they’re free when you ask a liquor store. Nice wooden boxes with latches and hinges that are the proper size.

Big stores just trash those cigar boxes.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blueshep
posted Hide Post
Those wooden cigar boxes are a good idea! This is a picture of the one I couldn't get yesterday.

NRA Lifetime Member

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I use an old six drawer VHS tape cabinet from the 70's-80's, but would love LOVE to have a Gerstner.
The tape cabinet is really just storage and nothing to do with display though.

EDIT: Stores a whole bunch of knives and holds my printer up

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
Would something like this work? Budget friendly too.

https://www.overstock.com/Jewe...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
I guess it just depends how much you’re willing to spend. Wanna toss out a ballpark number?

Picture of blueshep
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmc85:
Would something like this work? Budget friendly too.

https://www.overstock.com/Jewe...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I saw a few in there that would work!

NRA Lifetime Member

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

Store mine in a Gerstner Machinist chest, that's older than I am. I love the grain of the quarter sawn oak. Took me a few years to find one, but it was worth it.

Great find!

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
A little info on the Gerstner chests. YES they are expensive but they do seem to hold that value.

The original company is still running in Ohio. All of the hardware, drawer liners, etc, all still available. Right down to the old style glues they used.

Their site shows a link to a forum. There are a bunch of collectors and folks who restore the chests there. All sorts of information available.

Theres one noted Gent down in Florida who restores dozens of these every year. I'll find his site and post a link.

Gerstner does/did? Also build a chest in China, called their "International" line. Cheaper than the original, oak, made in Ohio series. Beware. Look for the "International" label on the face of the bottom drawer. Worth no more than $300 in good shape, really probably less.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/

Terry Rushbrook is the Gent who seems to always have a dozen restored chests for sale.

Chests on E Bay as well, but get informed as to models and prices first...most on flea bay are silly overpriced.

Gerstner has a sale twice a year too, good discounts. Next one I believe is in June.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gerstner does/did? Also build a chest in China, called their "International" line. Cheaper than the original, oak, made in Ohio series. Beware. Look for the "International" label on the face of the bottom drawer. Worth no more than $300 in good shape, really probably less.

I think that's what this one is on Amazon ...
https://www.amazon.com/Gerstne...-1&keywords=gerstner

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
quote:

I think that's what this one is on Amazon ...
https://www.amazon.com/Gerstne...-1&keywords=gerstner

YES.

The "International" label is different , larger, than the normal "H Gerstner, Ohio" label.

They are not bad chests, especially for under that list price. But simply not built as well or from good material, as the originals.

My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I don’t have “a lot” of knives but the ones I have are predominately in two places. A large cardboard box next to the safe for all of the cheap ones, and a small pelican case for the expensive/sentimental ones.

Edit: Lord almighty! That picture was huge! I’ll just include the link:
https://i.imgur.com/lHP3SHu.jpg

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have a pretty extensive knife collection, stored in three different places. First, I have a bunch in a wall unit, glass doors, even my wife accepts it. I have a Cocobolo wood tray with a glass top, displays 7 folders or smaller fixed blades. Last I have the remaining knives stored out of site, all in Bill's Custom soft cases.

All my knives are waxed with Renaissance Wax before putting away, never a spot of corrosion.

Years ago I should have had a case built by this company, I met them a few times at a knife show, the brother of extraordinary knife maker Scott Slobodian.

http://jwwinchestercases.com/?cases,20

This message has been edited. Last edited by: UTsig,

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blueshep
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I have a pretty extensive knife collection, stored in three different places. First, I have a bunch in a wall unit, glass doors, even my wife accepts it. I have a Cocobolo wood tray with a glass top, displays 7 folders or smaller fixed blades. Last I have the remaining knives stored out of site, all in Bill's Custom soft cases.

All my knives are waxed with Renaissance Wax before putting away, never a spot of corrosion.

Years ago I should have had a case built buy this company, I met them a few times at a knife show, the brother of extraordinary knife maker Scott Slobodian.

http://jwwinchestercases.com/?cases,20

wow that's a really sweet looking case!

NRA Lifetime Member

Picture of blueshep
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmc85:
I guess it just depends how much you’re willing to spend. Wanna toss out a ballpark number?

I'd like to stay in the 200.00 range.I would spend more if something I like was available.

NRA Lifetime Member

Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Then there's always Harbor Freight for $79.99.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a Acrylic place like TapPlastic locally. They made some nice boxes and enclosures.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post