SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Karambit or TDI?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karambit or TDI? Login/Join 
easy money
posted
Hello!

Seeking input from those with experience on the utility for self defense between the karambit & the ka-bar TDI. Civilian use, experienced martial artist, new to Kali.

If you prefer the karambit, can you name it? There are like 3,769 varieties!

Thank you!

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Neither...If I had to choose TDI, but I own and dislike both.

The typical hook karambits limit you in attacks, the same is true for the TDI. When you are exhausted or terrified you are going to go for simpler moves. You are going to want a knife you can get a normal grip on and go to work. You are not going to be doing those weird hooking motions you would use a traditional karambit with or the pistol grip stabbing the TDI is designed around.

That said, I like the ring on karambits. So a normal knife with that addition is acceptable in my book. Like a fox Parong or Kabar Snody Snake Charmer.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Thank you for the input!

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
I don’t have any experience with either of those knives. But I do like the ring idea and just started carrying the new Benchmade SOCP dagger. It comes with a couple different blade styles and I’m pretty happy with it.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
While more difficult to find the Emerson CQC7 Karambit model affords more of a range of use than the traditional karambit shape - though at a loss of significant blade length.

Traditional shape takes a lot of practice. If you're not in love and wanting to practice that much then TDI.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post