SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    All Makers and Basement Creators, I Need Advice Regarding Ventilation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Makers and Basement Creators, I Need Advice Regarding Ventilation Login/Join 
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted
OK, so the Mrs and I are zeroing in on a new house (long story) but the upshot to everything is that I am finally going to have some real space for a workshop. It is going to be in the basement and the area does not have handy access to a basement window.

I have wanted to start learning the craft of knifemaking for a very long time, and this is finally my chance. However, I anticipate keeping things clean and keeping the air circulating are going to be challenging.

So, to that end, has anyone ever put in a ventilation system to keep a work-space from getting to smelly and dirty from dust and fumes. And if you did, how did you accomplish it?

I'm open to just about any idea short of explosives, so fire away. And thanks for any creativity you are able to share.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.powermatic.com/us/e...ation-system/1791330

I use one of these in my shop.

Matt

Matthew Logan

Posts: 414 | Location: NC | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about knife making but it would seem that your insurance company might have an issue with a forge in your basement.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I know nothing about knife making but it would seem that your insurance company might have an issue with a forge in your basement.

LOL, yes, I certainly imagine they would. I am actually just interested in stock removal right now. A forge might happen off in the future somewhere, but the neighbors would probably mind the hammering anywhere in the near future.

Thanks for the heads up Matt. That looks promising. I was also thinking of some sort of vent to the outside to deal with odor, but that's a nice looking filter unit.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If you wind up venting to the outside keep in mind you'll need makeup air coming in. Also you'll have to watch any any water heaters or furnaces that need a draft to vent because you may pull exhaust air in.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Shop vac with some pvc ducting below your platen and empty once a week. Be mindful of sparks. I have a large fan in a window in one end of the shop that blows “ things” away from me and the grinder towards the open end of the shop. I still wear a respirator. Knife shops are VERRRRY dirty. I don’t think I would ever have one in my dwelling. I have a separate 17x30’ shop building out back.
Get more electricity than you think you will need, 220 if possible, high amp, you WILL add equipment. A separate clean area is nice also just because steel, G-10, Micarta, bone, wood, all the goodies make gnarly dust. Once you get “ bit” real good you will want a good grinder. Research this well as there are good and better. Spend the money on better as the headaches are much less. We can talk more about that later.
Lighting, LOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You NEED lots! That means lots of power once again. Can your breakers handle the load? I found all this out over time as I ran power underground to the shop and there is some things I would have wished I would have known earlier.

I have a 96” bench
2- 48” benches
Drill press
2 vices
2 grinders
Band saw
Compressor
Bead blast cabinet
Buffing wheel
Lots of shelves
50 plus years of tool collection
Lots of light!!!!!

How exiting!! What a great project/ hobby!! Soo much to talk about! Drop me a line and I would LOVE to talk to you more and maybe save some headache and money!! Merry Christmas and good luck!
https://imgur.com/a/89eya
PS I have a KMG and a Northridge grinder. Northridge ALL THE WAY!!!! Trust me.

I went with the Pro package. It IS worth it if you are gonna get serious, if it’s something that you find your not really into, you should not have a problem selling that particular unit as it is quite desirable.
Also there is NO reason to spend that kinda money till you figure out if this something you want to seriously pursue. yea we need to talk....
Jim

I did my first knife on a Harbor Freight 1x30 throw away grinder...........their 4x36" looks like a better machine with more usefulness.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sybo,

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info sybo.

I am certain it creates a LOT of debris. It's something I've always wanted to do, but unfortunately a separate building just isn't in the cards. I'd love a shop, but it is what it is.

I'll be in touch once I get a better idea of what my resources and room will be.

posted Hide Post
Or Son In Law lives in Ohio belongs to a blacksmith co-op. Might be an option.

Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
ulsterman, thanks for the tip. A cursory search didn't bring in anything for my area, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Following this!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
ulsterman, thanks for the tip. A cursory search didn't bring in anything for my area, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

https://sofablacksmiths.org/

Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Just ran into this on another forum. It's not a cleaner, per se, but it's specially made to bring in fresh air and vent odor from basements when windows aren't readily available. Looks kind of cool.

https://www.tjernlund.com//xchanger_basement_fan.htm

Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
And sybo, I will drop you a line. I am just the definition of assholes and elbows at the moment.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Otto,

I just want to share do please research what kind of filtration/protection you need. I came across some discussion over in bladeforum about the topic.

I only sharpen knives using worksharp belt grinders but I learned you can't be too cautious with the steel dust created. I bought a table filter as I'm doing it in the garage with the dogs.

Some even wear a personal hood system: link

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19581 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
ReyHRH, I am a total believer in respirators already from other things I've done in life. Thanks for the heads up on the hood system. it is intriguing.

I also ran across this thread all about dust collection and air filtration. Thanks for pointing my searches in a more specific direction.

https://www.bladeforums.com/th...-you-do-one.1208254/