SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Coffin Handled Bowie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coffin Handled Bowie Login/Join 
posted
Got this beautiful knife in the mail today from Jeff Schafer and couldn't be more pleased with it. Thought I'd share some photos.

I have wanted a coffin handled Bowie like this for several years now. A while back I spotted a similar one on Jeff's Instagram page which I thought was one of the nicest looking examples I had seen of this style. I kept going back to his page looking at the photo until I eventually contacted him about making me one. He designed it to be similar to the knife that Cherokee Chief Tahchee carried.

Since I just got it, I haven't used it yet other than to slice some paper but it does that very well. I'm not sure yet how much I will use it but I will probably play around with it some. It is mostly just something I wanted just to have it.

It's razor sharp and the fit and finish are excellent. I really like the way it feels in hand. It's just over 13" OAL with an 8" blade. The steel is 80CrV2 and it's 1/4" thick at the thickest part of the spine. The scales are African Blackwood and the bolsters and pins are stainless.

I told Jeff that I thought I would prefer a lanyard hole but I really liked the clean look of the handle without it. He suggested a hidden one and I really like the way it turned out. I don't know that I will need to use a lanyard with it but I like having the option.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Looks great.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Wow, super clean design and super clean execution.

That is a beautiful knife.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's a gorgeous knife, and it more closely resembles early Bowies than 99% of so-called Bowie knives.

The other very early pattern of Bowies is what's known today as the Searles Bowie, with its Persian-influence upswept clip point blade.

Posts: 107250 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is quite nice.

Does he forge or use stock removal?

What steel?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Beautiful knife!

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks! I think Jeff did an amazing job. It's such a clean looking design. I'm really liking it!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
That's a gorgeous knife, and it more closely resembles early Bowies than 99% of so-called Bowie knives.

The other very early pattern of Bowies is what's known today as the Searles Bowie, with its Persian-influence upswept clip point blade.

Thanks Para and I agree. A lot of the early Bowie photos that I have seen online seem to look similar to this one. I am familiar with the Searles design as well. I have also seen a few that are similar to mine but have the handle angled upward. Those look a little strange to me but I'm sure there was a reason behind the design. I'd say lot of those old boys back in the day sure enough put there knives to use. The sandbar fight that James was in is a pretty interesting read. He was a tough one.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That is quite nice.

Does he forge or use stock removal?

What steel?

Thanks.

He does both. This one is stock removal but he told me he could forge it.

The steel on this one is 80CrV2 but he gave me several steel options to choose from. I'm no steel expert but I own a few knives and most are high carbon which I usually prefer. I was not familiar with 80CrV2 but after doing some reading on the net it seems a lot of folks like it. It is supposed to be very tough. He said he could do about any of the high carbon steels in his shop but the super stainless steels he would have to send out. I assume he meant for the heat treat.

Below is a link to his website. There is not much info on it but his email is on the contact page. He is also active on Instagram and I think Facebook. He has a few you tube videos as well.

https://jeffschafer.weebly.com/

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a quick video Jeff did that shows a little closer look at the knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L5-j-q7yH8

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
LOVIN this! What beautiful clean lines.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
Love that Bowie knife. I have a Bear and Sons, not a custom made beauty like that!
That blade looks like a beast, nice and thick, make a hell of a chopper!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: George85019,

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice! The hidden lanyard hole is a great feature as well Functionality if you want it, without the lanyard hole sticking out of the handle.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous Bowie!
Thanks for sharing.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post