SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What is your favorite folder?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite folder? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
...and what do you regularly carry with you?

What about "utility" vs "self protection"?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
I alternate between a Benchmade 551 and a Kershaw Blur. Both are great for everyday use and I wouldn't feel under-knifed if I had to use them for protection.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a few Emersons and a Benchmade, but what I ended up carrying all the time is my Spyderco Delica 4 FFG with the VG10 blade. It's light, thin, has versatile carry options, easy to open and close with one hand, has a good blade length (not too long, not too short), and the blade does a good job of holding an edge while still being easy to sharpen. I use the knife nearly every day and I only touch up the edge every month or two, if that. It's basically my Goldilocks knife. I have two of them. Though I have to admit I would like to add an Endura at some point.

I don't carry a knife for the purpose of protection, but if necessary can be pressed into that role.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Depending on my mood, I carry either a Hinderer or a Sebenza folder, but the knife that's always in my left front pocket is a cheap old SAK Alox Cadet.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have two

Benchmade 551 and Kershaw Blackout

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Doug Ritter (Benchmade Griptillians - I have a large and a small) are my perfect EDC knives.

If I were a little more bold, I'd be carrying my (small) sebenza more often.

It's a toss up between the two if money were no concern.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
My favorite folder is a Zero Tolerance 0560 CBCF. My current carry knife is a Pro-Tech Strider SNG auto.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few different EDC's but the one that I keep coming back to as the most useful overall is a Spyderco Military. I use my EDC for cutting and the Military is long and thin enough to do it exceptionally well.

If I were a soldier actually in the military ;-) I'd probably carry a stouter blade that wouldn't get broken off in a knife fight and tough enough to open cans in an emergency.

All knives are a compromise so pick the one that best suits what you use it for the most........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Case Jumbo Stockman

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
It changes. Always have had a soft spot for my Spyderco Delicas, though also really like my ZT 0450 lately. Sometimes I carry a Benchmade mini grip Ritter or an Emissary. As of late though, my favorite has to be my new Para 3. It's the same size as my Delica though tougher and smoother. Just enough smaller than my Para 2 that I want to carry it everywhere.
https://www.amazon.com/photos/...hrlzo2dNP6JSgcw9rDiu

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
For an EDC folder, I lean toward big and robust. My frequent carry is one of the 0300 - 0350 series, Zero Tolerance folders. In the warmer months; the 0350 sees yeoman service. During fall and winter; the 0301 fills my pocket. I primarily carry a knife as an augment to my primary arm. Most often, an autopistol.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Manix 2 XL or the PM2 in S110V.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Large classic Sebenza.

I had a Tanto version I gave away as a wedding present.

I currently carry my Paramilitary 2 (same size and blade length as the large Sebenza).

Whenever I have the funds the purchase another one, I think I will try out the Insingo version.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Endura.
As pictured in Forum starting page.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
This was my favorite folder until I lost it. It was the Benchmade Auto Adamas my wife bought me for our Wedding Anniversary. She even picked out all of the laser engravings.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Pegasus C61S. Was a limited production.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This Enzo Birk 75 is currently my favorite folder but most of the time I pocket carry a small fixed blade.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
ZT0303 everyday. I just bought a ZT350 as a backup but my wife adopted it quickly so her former 30 year old stainless SPYDERCO Police sits in the safe.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking knife, countryboy.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
My EDC folder is a Benchmade Griptillian. I use it for work every day and it gets the crap beat out of it, keeps coming back for more.

I have other folders I carry, some costing hundreds of dollars. I'm probably going to acquire a small Sebby someday but it tooo will not be an EDC but a "nice" knife to carry at certain times.

To answer about a defensive role, folders are a crappy choice. If you are legally limited to them, then you have to deal with that. But they are hard to deploy under pressure and you need one with a positive locking blade (another legal issue in some places).

I carry my Griptillian as a utility knife. It's not always razor sharp. I also alternate either a Ban Tang Clinch Pick, Syderco Reverse with custom scales and sheath or a TDI knife just left of my belt buckle as a defensive "get the hell off me knife" as well as a HAK as a knecker.

Regardless of what you carry, I always suggest at least a couple blocks of defensive knife classes (they won't make you a knife fighter but more show you the limits of a knife as a defensive weapon). Chris Fry of MDTS does a great job with small commonly carried knives.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post