SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Benchmade Lifesharp
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benchmade Lifesharp Login/Join 
posted
Anybody utilize Benchmades Lifesharp warranty?

I have one Benchmade knife that I bought about 15 years ago, it's been through hell and back, was thinking about sending it in. Just wondering if you all have been happy with the service.

I also decided to buy 2 more Benchmades so I'll be able to pass one on to each of my boys, any tips on good general purpose models?

Thanks!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I'm curious to hear other's thoughts and opinions about the lifesharp program.

I've got an old 530 Pardue that needs to be sent in... clip is worn out and beat up, screws are loose, and can barely cut butter at the moment. It's been my daily carry in the office setting for the past 4 years though.

For gift ideas, I'd strongly consider any of the many Griptilian models. I've given a couple of them as gifts over the years and they've always been warmly received.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've used it several times over the years on various Benchmades. Always been happy.

Turnaround has been anywhere from 2 weeks at times to 6 weeks at other times.

They not only resharpen the blade, but also disassemble, clean, inspect, tweak, and lube the knife. And they will often replace worn components like screws and pocket clips.

It's a great perk of owning one or more Benchmades.

The only caveat is that there are some hoops to jump through if you're sending back one of their automatic knives. You'll want to read up on that.

quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I also decided to buy 2 more Benchmades so I'll be able to pass one on to each of my boys, any tips on good general purpose models?

Griptilians are my standard recommendation for basic general purpose Benchmades. It helps that they're some of the most affordable Benchmades too.

The main downside is that the Griptilian's plastic scales feel really cheap. They had to cut corners somewhere to keep the cost down. They benefit greatly from installing a set of aftermarket aluminum or G10 scales. I'm a big fan of Applied Weapons Technology's aluminum scales: https://appliedweaponstech.com/t/knife-grip-kits

You can save a few bucks by buying the Griptilians and AWT scales together as a set: https://appliedweaponstech.com...combo-packs-save-big

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I picked up a decent 940 Osbourne last year for $80 at a gun show. Honest wear , but the first 3/8" of the blade tip broken off.

Sent it in and they basically gave me a new knife for $25. I wouldn't have any issues with their service policies.

Agree as well on a Griptilian for the OP's boys. Good solid folder, especially with replacement scales.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't send one back just for resharpening, but they will gladly resharpen them.

Where they shine is when you send them a knife that needs a cleaning, screws on the clip, or the whole clip. As FN in Mt suggested, they have even replaced blades with broken tips, etc. They will damn near re-build a worn knife and send it back, good as new.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I wouldn't send one back just for resharpening, but they will gladly resharpen them.

Where they shine is when you send them a knife that needs a cleaning, screws on the clip, or the whole clip. As FN in Mt suggested, they have even replaced blades with broken tips, etc. They will damn near re-build a worn knife and send it back, good as new.

Yeah I was going to take it to Seattle Edge, I work not too far away, but I wanted the whole maintenance. I'm thinking I'll take a handful of other knives to Seattle Edge.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one point I broke the tip of a knife ( fully admitting my fault) and sent it in. As a discontinued model they sent me a similar version complete new knife. Used lifesharp a few times as well and very happy with the service. Proper knife sharpening is a bit of a black art and never seems to come out as good as I would like it

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
When I had BENCHMADE knives, I sent them in several times for service. They were promptly returned fully sharpened and serviced. I couldn't ask for more.

The comment above about automatic knives is spot on. Federal law comes into play about return shipping from a knife maker to a customer who does not qualify under federal statutes. I no longer qualified so I used a local gun shop which is a BENCHMADE distributor. They received the automatic knives back from the factory for me. No cost involved.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
These are good knives for the money and their customer service is super. More companies should follow this business model.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another good thing they do is blade replacement for cheap. I got a new blade for my 710 with a screaming sharp edge on it for a very reasonable price. IIRC, it was just $20. But yeah if you have to send it in for anything they’ll clean it, tune up the pivot and replace screws + pocket clip. Hell just call them up and they’ll send out pocket clips and screws to you for free. Try getting Spyderco to do that.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Visited the BM Factory this afternoon, in Portland for the Blade Show West tomorrow.

Watched two guys drop off knives for sharpening at the window in the Sales area. Back in 5-10 minutes , cleaned and sharpened. Gotta love it.

Bought a limited edition (1500? 2000 made?) PROPER from the Store. Blue stocks, black coated, sheepsfoot blade. $115 with my -30% LE discount.

Looking forward to the Show tomorrow!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've mine back over the years. They have done an excellent job each time.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve sent 4 knives in to lifesharp and I was extremely satisfied! All have returned as new or even better! Sharpened, cleaned, tuned, and replaced worn out parts with brand new ones! I only carry the axis lock versions! I suggest presidio II , mini griptilian , 943 Osborne, and Foray! It used to cost $5 per knife for return shipping; now it’s however much it costs for you to send it to them.

Posts: 106 | Location: BRP,NC | Registered: January 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post