SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Suggestions on a sharpening kit.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions on a sharpening kit. Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I have a friend I served with who is getting into knives but doesn’t know how to sharpen with traditional stones.
I know of the Lansky kit but are there any others that you’d recommend?
I know with three kids graduating soon & heading off to college he’s mentioned not having a ton to throw at a new hobby but I thought the Lansky was cheap enough.
I’m guessing he’ll be wanting to stay under $100.
I searched Amazon and saw a number of different contraptions but since I use traditional stones & have never used these type of sharpening setups I don’t know what’s decent & what’s junk.

Any help & opinions are appreciated and I’ll be sending him a link so he can read along!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lansky is awesome, make sure you get the diamond stones. My son can make that non-diamond version work great but I don't have that kind of patience.

Also, suggest a small 2 sided DMT Diamond hone. Medium on one side, fine on the other. That's what I use 95 percent of the time as it's @ 10 seconds to sharpen a kitchen knife.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'd also suggest you have him buy a magic marker or the brand of his choice. Permanent is better. Explain that he should mark or stripe the edge (only) each time before he begins. Oh, maybe a can of old fashioned lighter fluid, too. Its a telltale for him to see where he's actually sharpening. It'll work with any brand kit, stone or whatever.

It also will prolong the life of the blade by keeping him on the edge, not up where it does no good.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Lansky is easy to use. I have a Chinese knockoff of The Edgepro that's good for removing a lot of metal. My favorite for light touch up is the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's quick to set up and pretty easy to get the hang of.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaybirdaccountant,

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Gatco sharpeners. Diamond stones? Only if your buddy has some of the “V” steels.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Gatco Diamonds for $60 shipped!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Maybe a tad more than the $100 limit you mentioned, but the Worksharp Ken Onion is really easy to use even for a beginner and results are excellent for everything from kitchen knives to axes. Another option is the Spiderco Sharpmaker at around $75. Pretty hard to mess up a blade with that system but it does take a lot of work if you're starting with a very dull blade. I never had much luck with a Lansky kit. Maybe I didn't have the patience required for that system. When I set out to sharpen, I do 5-6 knives in a session and that takes forever with the Lansky.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've had one for years and can do a really sharp blade with it.

For dull blades or to reprofile a blade I double sided tape 3M Wet\Dry sandpaper to the stones.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: braillediver,

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Sharpmaker. Easier to use than traditional stones, but maybe not as enjoyable with the techniques.

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Spyderco Sharpmaker and with the addition of the Ultra Fine and Diamond sticks I can sharpen just about anything into a razor sharp knife.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I am a BIG Wicked Edge System fan!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post