SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    CNN feature on knife maker
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CNN feature on knife maker Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
http://www.cnn.com/videos/trav...nder-list-bill-weir/

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Okay I'll say it, she's attractive.
Not too keen on her knives, though.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Okay I'll say it, she's attractive.
Not too keen on her knives, though.

agreed!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool knives. It looks like she is doing more bushcrafting and kitchen knives than tactical knives. I maybe wrong about the bushcrafting but it looks like it from some of the blade blanks.

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i thinks she is using files and charging 800 bucks a pop Eek

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
i thinks she is using files and charging 800 bucks a pop Eek

with 7 months lead times.... wow

good for her though

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't let Sybo see this.. I still want to buy one of his !! Eek

posted Hide Post
She makes a killing selling to uneducated hipsters. She's very well known in the knife community but not in a good way.

Lots of legitimate knife-makers have a hard time selling much nicer knives for less money.

Kudos to her for finding a niche where she can soak people with more money than sense but I don't consider her a knife maker. She buys old crusty farrier rasps, cleans them, does little to no forging on them, grinds an edge, does a rudimentary heat treat, uses scrap wood that doesn't look properly stabilized and charges a mint and gets it because she's a woman who lives in Brooklyn.

If you go to her website, she sells it as repurposing, upcycling, reclaiming and all that other feel good crap people eat up these days.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I trust two knife makers exclusively Emerson and Winkler. She's nice eye candy, the aforementioned are the best.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Scurvy, I sensed that just watching the video:
"It's really like a new way of setting a new momentum..."

It's really like bullshit.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
She makes a killing selling to uneducated hipsters. She's very well known in the knife community but not in a good way.

Lots of legitimate knife-makers have a hard time selling much nicer knives for less money.

Kudos to her for finding a niche where she can soak people with more money than sense but I don't consider her a knife maker. She buys old crusty farrier rasps, cleans them, does little to no forging on them, grinds an edge, does a rudimentary heat treat, uses scrap wood that doesn't look properly stabilized and charges a mint and gets it because she's a woman who lives in Brooklyn.

If you go to her website, she sells it as repurposing, upcycling, reclaiming and all that other feel good crap people eat up these days.

I can't criticize her for getting what price she can get for her knives, but too bad her customers don't know better.

Is it really $800 for a crudely finished file knife from her? You can get a Bob Dozier knife of similar construction, but done at the highest level for $400, and it will be so much better made.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Well isn't her website just precious?

Is she heat treating with a torch?

"More beautiful than they have to be." What the fuck does that mean?

Make a knife like Bob Kramer and it is more beautiful than it has to be. It will cost more than $800, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Given the choice between a Burt Foster for $800 and one of those...geez, I don't know what I would do... Roll Eyes

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

"More beautiful than they have to be." What the fuck does that mean?

yea, but her interest in the material she uses is for its "otherness", and its personality. Roll Eyes

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I refuse to bash anyone for ripping off hipsters from Brooklyn.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
God bless.

I've said it over and over, why sell eight $100 knives if you can sell one $800 knife.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Make a knife like Bob Kramer and it is more beautiful than it has to be. It will cost more than $800, too.

Bob Kramer just lives up the road a little bit. Have exchanged emails but not yet met. However, he is my inspiration.

Below is one I made from 1095 with a variety of features, 8.5" blade, brass bolsters and pommel, matched Madrona Burl, Variable edge geometry (incls. distal taper) and mosaic pins:

Bob K's pattern welded steels are remarkable in their performance. That's a closely guarded secret/recipe. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
What the actual fuck? $800 for a crudely finished knife?

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like file knives, go to:
www.michaelmorrisknives.com
I found a very old Nicholson file in an old barn. Morris made a bad ass knife out of it. About 150 bucks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post