SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Microtech owners and users - thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microtech owners and users - thoughts? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I am considering a Microtech OTF. I think the Ultratech is as big as I'd like, but also would consider the UTX-85. I would carry it in a pocket, and would prefer not to have to use a pocket clip. The Ultratech seems at the size limit for that. The UTX-70 seems toy-like.

Do these make useful carrying knives? How do they carry - there is a fair amount of handle in these for a given blade length?

Other considerations? Other brands to consider?

And photos are always fun.

Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I have an ultratech that I have carried for years. One of the things I like the most about it is how slender it is. If you were to remove the clip, it disappear well in the pocket.

I find my to be more useful nowadays, as I often have a one-year-old in my arms or otherwise clinging to me and the double action is great for when you only have one hand available.

If I were in the position to buy another one, there are probably only two things I would change:
1) I would get a single edge blade. I have the double edge, and it sure looks cool, but it's just not that useful.
2) I would probably get a Benchmade (or one of their HK branded ones). They are very similar to the ultratech, but with much better customer service (anecdotally, at least) and no @$&! proprietary screws! Thankfully I have not had any problems with my microtech, but I would much rather work on a knife that is made so I CAN work on it than deal with one that is made to keep you from messing with it.

For what you are looking for, I think an ultratech or BM equivalent would do nicely.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Here are some quick photos with a BM 710 and mini barrage for reference. The ultratech does have a long handle, but without the clips it is slimmer than both Benchmades. It is also lighter than the 710.

https://i.imgur.com/iIvnZaP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Wik1Wmg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/O4ukk26.jpg

The grid in the background is 1". I lined up the base of each knife (ignoring the glass breaker on the ultratech) the photo just makes them look out of alignment.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Here’s a comparison photo of the line up if it helps any. I have an Ultratech coming for Christmas. Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I will say the Ultratech is very light and disappears in the pocket. I would recommend it, so far I have had no issues with mine.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I have an Ultratech and a Scarab as well as the UDT.
That said, when I carry an OTF, it's one of the Benchmade-HK's.
Only because I don't mind beating on them.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I have an Ultratech and a Scarab as well as the UDT.
That said, when I carry an OTF, it's one of the Benchmade-HK's.
Only because I don't mind beating on them.

Is that because you are preserving them, or think they can't stand a little beating?

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
because they're too pretty to use. And I don't have the tool to service them. The HK's are easy to take apart.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I bought the OD Green UTX-85 first. It is a great size for pocket carry. I then got the Ultratech HellHound because...well, look at that frickin blade. I then had to have a Combat Troodon. Then the Combat Troodon Bounty Hunter was released. The day after I received the Bounty Hunter, a Friend offered to sell me the Spartan. I have Benchmades, ZTs and Spydercos too, but they sit in the drawer now.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I love the Ultratech, Utx-85, and the Utx-70 all for carry depending what I wear. 85 is prolly the sweet spot though a full size is easy to carry as well.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help.

Now, who has these in stock? I can find some Ultratechs in stock, although the supply isn't huge.

And I think the only UTX-85s I have seen anyone have in stock are the super-deluxe $800 versions.

Does anyone have a decent selection?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Grand Prairie Knives seems to have a bunch.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
pvk Vegas has some i think or at least they did. Blade HQ may be sold out.

Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
St. Cloud Knives just got UTX-85s in.

http://www.stcloudknives.com/p...?dealer=%20microtech

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks, akaSigFreak. I placed an order with St. Cloud. I found out from Microtech that they didn't produced any UTX-85s for a few weeks, but started a run, so the dealers should be getting some in the next week or two.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
pvk Vegas has some i think or at least they did. Blade HQ may be sold out.