SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco PM2, Thinning Behind the Edge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco PM2, Thinning Behind the Edge Login/Join 
posted
Picked up this Syderco PM2 used awhile back. Wanted to figure out how to sharpen S110V. Sharpen it handful of ways....got it figured out to my liking. Put it up for sale, didn't get any takers. OK, going to thin it out a behind the edge. Brought it over to a friends shop who forges straight razors, took his belt grinder to it. I might be voiding my warranty! Started with a 36 grit ceramic belt, finished at 320 grit. When started behind the bevel was about .035, got it down to .015. Sharpened very quickly and easily, bevel at 30 degrees total. It's a cardboard cutting laser!

Fun stuff!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chewbackup
posted Hide Post
looks great, probably hold a decent edge between tune ups!

I love my wife, kids, dogs, Sigs, and Glocks, knives--In no particular order!

Posts: 690 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I took mine down to 30 degrees with much the same result. I think the factory edge is robust but probably overkill for daily use. You have to give up something to keep that much steel on the edge and I'd rather have more slicing then all that edge strength.

Looks good.

This has been a daily user for over 4 years I think. Still one of my fav carries. Not pretty and only s30, but works all the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nickelsig229,

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
I took mine down to 30 degrees with much the same result. I think the factory edge is robust but probably overkill for daily use. You have to give up something to keep that much steel on the edge and I'd rather have more slicing then all that edge strength.

Looks good.

This has been a daily user for over 4 years I think. Still one of my fav carries. Not pretty and only s30, but works all the time.

Ya, I too think the Spyderco factory edge/thickness behind the edge is a bit thick for how I use my knife. Not doing ice block chops or barrel stabs any time soon! Guessing Spyderco and others strike a balance not knowing how their knives are being used.

My 30 degree edge is holding up great.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post