SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Kestrel ultralight hunting knives.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kestrel ultralight hunting knives. Login/Join 
posted
Does anybody here have these? They look pretty awesome for backpack type public land hunting.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry, heres a link.

https://www.kestrelknives.com/

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'll go ahead and pay the heavy price (get it - heavy?) of another ounce or two to have a handle you can actually get a grip on.

Have you tried to use a flat handled knife? Or a skeleton grip? They are not comfortable. They twist in your hand.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'll second jhe. Thin is hard to get a grip on. Angular isn't to good, either. I had an old school Buck 112 with hard edges (not rounded) on the handle. While it was wide enough for a good grip, it painfully dug into the palm of my hand and fingers when I wanted to put real force on it.

I'd always go with a good handle on a knife meant for heavy work.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
What's the point of having a fixed blade wilderness knife if it isn't going to be strong enough to baton with?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
My first impression when I opened the link was "mess kit knife". Especially the Mountain caper. I think I prefer my ESEE 4.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
What's the point of having a fixed blade wilderness knife if it isn't going to be strong enough to baton with?

BINGO!

If it won't do the work it needs too it doesn't matter how light it is. These might make a good 2nd light duty knife but not a primary.......dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I wouldn't really be batoning stuff with a knife that was specifically for skinning animals. I get the point though.

I've used an izula to take apart a deer before and I didn't find it terrible, certainly not as comfortable as the hunting knife sybo made for me but that thing is huge, not an ultralight knife.

Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
my go to woods knife i got it 22 years ago for scuba diving i have used more in the woods than diving Smile

image upload

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post