SIGforum
Kitchen Cutlery-Liontribe Designs-New Pics

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/2910041854

July 12, 2019, 10:29 PM
P220 Smudge
Kitchen Cutlery-Liontribe Designs-New Pics
Yeah, you would do well to snag as much of that as you can. It’s probably not for everyone, but I can’t help but suddenly want a set of New vaquero grips made out of that stuff.

July 13, 2019, 01:26 AM
dozer
i actually did make some blackhawk grips from something very similar years ago. they were a gift for my pop a while back. he is a revolver man, and has just about a dozen Ruger wheel guns.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson
July 13, 2019, 04:15 AM
sybo
Man those scales are PURDY!
July 13, 2019, 03:32 PM
dozer
thanks, brother. this wood is one of my favorites to use. it sands well and is very hard and strong.

dozer

July 14, 2019, 04:20 PM
dozer
here is the knife as of today. lots of sanding and all that is left is signing and sharpening.

dozer

July 14, 2019, 04:34 PM
soflaac
Unique and quite the looker. Cool

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave
July 16, 2019, 01:59 PM
dozer
thanks much. many have asked, so i will be making a standard model very similar to this one. i will be using 1/8" W2 tool steel with this finish and very similar handle materials. so there will be more of these coming soon. thanks for all the suggestions. i am actually working on more santoku designs and paring knives.

dozer

July 21, 2019, 06:11 PM
dozer
i am doing a paring knife companion to the chef knife since i had just the right amount of steel left for the job. here it is rough ground and headed to heat treat. i should have more pics of it when it is all cleaned up and etched. i am doing the same etch and handle material as the big chef knife.

dozer

July 22, 2019, 01:22 PM
6guns
Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
July 22, 2019, 05:02 PM
dozer
thanks, here it is as of today. final polish and etch is done. fitting up the scales is the next step.

dozer

July 26, 2019, 01:01 AM
dozer
here is the handle for the parer that mates with the chef knife. i took it 1000grit and finishing with several coats of boiled linseed oil. it is stabilized maple, but i like to double up on the finish. it just gives it a nice, usable finish. if you use something like poly or similar, it is so easy to scratch or damage that super shiny finish. i reserve that for show pieces. i want my knives to be used and enjoyed. my pop has a knife that i made over a decade ago and it still looks new. i hate shiny finishes, anyway. i took all the chrome off my old dyna and had it bead blasted so i could acid etch it. i just dislike those shiny finishes on almost anything. it might be a character flaw.

dozer

July 26, 2019, 01:29 PM
dozer
here is the finished pair. took some nicer pics today.

dozer

July 26, 2019, 11:32 PM
flesheatingvirus
Wow!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
July 27, 2019, 05:35 AM
6guns
Wow is right! Beautiful set!

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
July 27, 2019, 05:53 AM
dozer
thanks, fellas. my main focus will be on kitchen knives for a while. i have a ton of new designs i am going to be working on soon.

dozer

July 31, 2019, 11:28 AM
6guns
The set arrived today and I'm blown away! works of art and sharp as can be! Fit and feel are awesome! This set is going to be a Christmas gift and I can't wait to present them!

FYI, the color of these knives is not blue as shown on my screen....not sure what you see. They are a light gray/silver and look incredible!

July 31, 2019, 02:26 PM
dozer
thanks so much. yeah, my camera skills are not the best. i have a nice set going at the moment for a great customer. these will most likely get photographed professionally if they come out half as good as they look so far. i did a similar set years ago for a family member and they love the shape of them. so, i decided to make a batch of these again.

dozer

August 01, 2019, 04:15 PM
dozer
rough grinds are done. now to clay the blades and heat treat. keep your fingers crossed for good hamon lines. Big Grin

dozer

August 10, 2019, 12:10 PM
6guns
Looking forward to updated pics, Mike.

August 10, 2019, 01:52 PM
dozer
ask and ye shall receive. i didn't like the look of the hamon on these, i am still learning that particular set of skills. it was just way too light. i think i may change the clay i am using. anyway, no big deal. we just gave it the old signature patterned etch. they came out great. next step is fitting the handles.

dozer