SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Knife Sharpener Recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife Sharpener Recommendations Login/Join 
posted
I have NEVER been able to sharpen a knife like some people can... So , I need a recommendation for a GOOD easy to use knife sharpener....(send all my high end chef knives out for sharpening). SO mainly one for pocket knives....I am sure this will open a can of worms...but this old guy needs some help Thanks in Advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR

Posts: 179 | Registered: September 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken Onion Work Sharp!!!

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had very good luck with the Work Sharp angle set manual sharpener. For under $50 I’ve been extremely happy with it for my needs

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spyderco makes a good manual, rod sharpener. Basic model comes with two coarse rods and two fine rods. You use two triangular rods set into the holder which has the angle set up for you. See Utube or Spyderco for videos.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Sharpmaker
EdgePro Apex
Wicked Edge

I have a Worksharp but it doesn't get used on knives much at all

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks to all for these recommendations !!! Happy New Year

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Wicked Edge Systems are really good, but for the value, you might not justify its cost

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have all of the above mentioned systems plus a Tormek and collection of stones.

The BEST sharpening system is the TSPROF. It is not inexpensive but worth it if you want the best system and want to sharpen lots of knives.

The Wicked edge sharpener is very good for smaller knives and is fast because you use 2 stones at once. Extra stones are expensive because you have to buy them in pairs and there is nowhere near the selection that is available for the edgpro stones like the TSProf uses.

The edgepro system is good and less expensive than the TSPROF. I would recommend you check in with Gritomatic on Amazon or Gritomatic.com. They have several systems like the edgepro but less expensive and better features. They also have a large selection of stones.

I think for most folks something like the Hapstone M3 for $155 would be a good place to start:

https://www.gritomatic.com/col...dard-knife-sharpener

It's a little less expensive than the edgepro Apex and IMHO is a nicer tool but I've lost count of the knives I sharpened on an Apex.

If you sharpen a lot of knives with super steels like S-60V, S-110V, etc etc I highly recommend you check out the Venev diamond stones. They cut WAY faster on super hard steels than others and are worth the investment. If you sharpen a lot you may very well end up spending more on stones than the sharpener you start out with.

I also highly recommend a thread in this forum by "OffGrid" about sharpening supers steels. Well worth your time checking out his posts!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7290080054

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I use the small sanding belt unit to reshape an edge if needed. Then I use stones 2-3 grits progressively under a water trickle followed by a smoothe steel. I hold my angle by hand. I think I am pretty good at it.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I use the small sanding belt unit to reshape an edge if needed. Then I use stones 2-3 grits progressively under a water trickle followed by a smoothe steel. I hold my angle by hand. I think I am pretty good at it.

If you can push cut cigarette paper you are doing pretty good...........

posted Hide Post
MANY THANKS !!! Got my Work Sharp. WOW. really works great. Bit of a learning curve but not difficult at all.....it does a wonderful job !

THANKS SIG FORUM MEMBERS !!!!! Cool

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got an Edge Pro Apex starter kit. It came with 220 and 400 grit stones. I eventually ordered the 600 and 1000 grit stones.

I literally just finished sharpening three knives with it just 5 minutes ago. One was a Gerber folding pocket knife. The second was a Whustof Santoku knife and the third was a Whustof poultry carving knife. I kept sharpening until all three would shave hair off the back of my hand.

I highly recommend this system and it's made in Hood River OR.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've sharpened dozens of knives with the Edge Pro Apex. An very good tool in it's day. Now however the Hapstone tools and especially the TSPROF and taken the EdgePro Stones and system and taken them to a whole new level. If you compare the features of a Hapstone system there is no reason to buy an Edge Pro unless you refuse to buy anything not built in the US. At least they aren't built in China! The TSPROF compared to an EdgePro is comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo, they both will get you there but........

I also highly recommend checking out Gritomatic they have LOTS of different EdgePro stones available. You can find them on Amazon or their own website.