SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    A-2 tool steel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A-2 tool steel Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
I have a hunting knife made with A-2 and I’m pretty happy with it. I get it very sharp and it seems to stay that way for a long time. There is a part of me that always wonders whether I’m leaving something on the table.

Am I?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Mission knives in A2 steel and they have been great. You're leaving nothing on the table. Big Grin

Pictured here (bottom one has a beta Ti blade):

(Top to Bottom):
2004 MPK12-A2 12" serrated AlTiN
2000 MPK-S 10.5" A2 AlTiN serrated
1999 MPKS 10.5" model w/Al Ti Nitride coated plain A2 blade prototype (note no lanyard hole) shown at SHOT show
2004 MPK10 Ti 10.5" model with beta titanium blade

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
I have a hunting knife made with A-2 and I’m pretty happy with it. I get it very sharp and it seems to stay that way for a long time. There is a part of me that always wonders whether I’m leaving something on the table.

Am I?

There's better steels available today. Better in every way, edge retention, toughness. For a fixed blade steel CPM3V.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Some of the sharpest, toughest knives made were by the late Phill Hartsfield. His steel was A2, his heat treat was proprietary and worked! Use it and enjoy its edge holding properties.

One thing I've learned collecting knives for over 30 years is not to get caught up in the boutique steels. For most of us 440C, properly heat treated would be fine.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
One thing I've learned collecting knives for over 30 years is not to get caught up in the boutique steels. For most of us 440C, properly heat treated would be fine.

Well said. The latest steels aren't always a better choice than the tried and true.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A2 is a good steel. Some of the modern super steels have advantages, but A2 is excellent. Don't fret about minor differences.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Barkies in A2. Nice to be able to sharpen em at some point. Will stain, so what?
Working knives, not collectors. YMMV.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1115 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
I like my Barkies in A2. Nice to be able to sharpen em at some point. Will stain, so what?

Bark River uses convex edges. Good advice on how to easily sharpen here: https://www.knivesshipfree.com...e-sharpening-videos/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:

Bark River uses convex edges. Good advice on how to easily sharpen here: https://www.knivesshipfree.com...e-sharpening-videos/

Thanks for that feersum, just the way I've been doing it. It is surprising how sharp a convex edge can get and how quickly you can bring it back with a little wet/dry paper.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1115 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:

Thanks for that feersum, just the way I've been doing it. It is surprising how sharp a convex edge can get and how quickly you can bring it back with a little wet/dry paper.

I'll echo the thanks and confirm that convex edges can be ridiculously sharp. Albert at Seattle Edge, my sharpener guy, absolutely recommends them for any blade where the geometry is appropriate for it. He's done a number of my knives and educated me on stropping and feather edge maintenance as opposed to "sharpening" and steel removal. Convex for the win.

Some great stuff in the short bit of time I skimmed through those vids. Definitely will watch the rest.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone’s thoughts. Interestingly enough the Bark River Knives are what brought this to my mind.

My go to hunting knife for the past 20 years has been a Blackjack Trailguide it’s a good design but I’d like to compliment it with a drop point design.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Bark River's CPM-3V is phenomenal. If you are picking between A2 and 3V, go 3V.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
I appreciate everyone’s thoughts. Interestingly enough the Bark River Knives are what brought this to my mind.

My go to hunting knife for the past 20 years has been a Blackjack Trailguide it’s a good design but I’d like to compliment it with a drop point design.

Take a look at https://surviveknives.com/ offerings. Surviveknives grind is thinner behind the edge, I believe a little better grind for a hunting knife, skinner/cutter..... Fit and finish is very good.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post