SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Microtech OTF knives
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microtech OTF knives Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted
I've never taken the opportunity to handle one but recently grew to like the Hellhound model. It began with video reviews and then found the UTX-85 for what seemed like a decent price less than $200 delivered. That seemed like a decent opportunity to try one of their OTF knives before plopping down more serious money for a Hellhound. How have these eluded me? I love this thing. Anyone else been digging these?

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I have an ultratech that I've carried on and off for 8 years or so and I love it.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of losvaqueros
posted Hide Post
Been carrying one for several years

Posts: 1813 | Location: Mid Tenn | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I just bought the Jedi Master OTF, it is cool. It's like carrying a mini light saber.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--M...Master-DA-OTF--36782

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I love mine. Blade show is great if you are a Microtech fan. They run a $125 Ultratech special every year. I got 2 this year.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about getting my first OTF as well. Something along the lines of an ultratech.

In general I prefer a drop point style blade. However, in an OTF I like the looks of the double edge dagger style.

What's your opinion of double edge vs drop point? In particular i'm concerned about the durability of the double edge tip/point.

Posts: 348 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caglio:
I am thinking about getting my first OTF as well. Something along the lines of an ultratech.

In general I prefer a drop point style blade. However, in an OTF I like the looks of the double edge dagger style.

What's your opinion of double edge vs drop point? In particular i'm concerned about the durability of the double edge tip/point.

https://www.facebook.com/Pique...s/10154941543307894/

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:

How do you like your Hellhound?

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Alright Dusty, that cuts it. I missed that deal a couple years ago at Blade so now I HAVE to go back. $125 is an insane deal! Nice watch, just bought one with the leather strap.

My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I bought my ultratech I went with the double edged blade because I figured that an OTF knife was the only way I could ever really justify carrying a double edge. If I could do it again, would I? That depends on the knife. With an OTF like the Benchmade infidel, where the button is on the flat part of the body as opposed to the spine, I would. In that case the ergonomics of the grip allow you to cut to either side, much like you would with a letter opener. With the button being on the spine like on the microtech, a proper grip basically lets you slice up and down instead of side to side. Those upward cuts never felt comfortable just because of the way the arm naturally wants to bring the blade towards your face... You can always rotate the body of the knife, but that button (at least on the older microtech) is the only real purchase your hand has to keep it from sliding onto the blade, so I tend to want my thumb to stay right there. If I were to get another microtech it would be a single edge.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great info, thanks for the replies.
That makes a lot of sense Krav.

Sorry SigFreak, that link requires a login. I don't do social media.
Nice OTF's!

Posts: 348 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:

How do you like your Hellhound?

I love the Ultratech Hellhound. It is a definite attention getter. However, I just received the Combat Troodon and it is absolutely amazing. They also offer a Hellhound Combat Troodon which is a Beast!

Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great info, thanks for the replies.
That makes a lot of sense Krav.

Sorry SigFreak, that link requires a login. I don't do social media.
Nice OTF's!

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
@ alaSigFreak -> thanks. I'll check out the Troodon Hellhound. I'm already mentally spending money that hasn't arrived yet.

That video surprised me,a confidence builder for sure, thanks for sharing that.

Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
The Combat Troodon Hellhound is a Marfione Custom ($1000+).

The TAN is $1500

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Alright Dusty, that cuts it. I missed that deal a couple years ago at Blade so now I HAVE to go back. $125 is an insane deal! Nice watch, just bought one with the leather strap.

You just have to get the early bird pass and get there a couple hours early to wait on line. Totally worth it.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Early bird pass it is then for next Blade.

$1000-1500 puts the custom Marfione out of reach for me. Damn.

posted Hide Post
I have been considering a micro tech for some time, and am trying to decide between the utx 70 &85, as the regular ultratech seems a bit large for edc. Anyone have both and offer an opinion? It is hard to find these in stock anywhere on line let alone a shop where you can handle both and compare. I suspect this situation will only get worse with a number of states legalizing auto cases that recently

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
The UTX-70 is nice but a little small. I handled one and thought of it as more a novelty. The UTX-85 is a decent size and fits the pocket nicely. I carry the Combat Troodon as my EDC, but I'm a big guy (6'2" 290lbs) so it fits me. If you look at my pics, the UTX-85 is shorter but wider than the Ultratech.