SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Which would you choose?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which would you choose? Login/Join 
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
Cold Steel. No matter what steel they use I'd prefer it to 420hc. The Selkirk is a neat knife, but it is outclassed by the Master Hunter.

As an aside, I'm considering a Master Hunter in CPM3V. They've made them in a whole slew of steel types over the years.

Posts: 840 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Wow! I would have never guessed the voting would be so close. So far 9 to 8 in favor of the Cold Steel.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much experience with the Master Hunter, but in Carbon V. Wouldn't trade it off, ever.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I really wanted to give that Buck to my new SIL at Christmas this last year. It wasn't quite as impressive in person, couple that with a nice fat Made In China etching. No sale.

It might be a danged workaholic, but it wasn't going to be a gift.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Neither, really. But that 420HC in the Buck is not a great knife steel. I'd call the bare minimum not to be junk. VG 1 ought to be a better steel. Not tons better, but some.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems a lot of nostalgia for Buck Knives but not this model.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Neither, really. But that 420HC in the Buck is not a great knife steel. I'd call the bare minimum not to be junk. VG 1 ought to be a better steel. Not tons better, but some.

Yeah, this is where the difference would lie for me. I've owned a handful of knives with blades made a few types of 420 steel and they all amount to wall hangers. It's not a blade steel for any kind of serious use. If I had to choose, this would make the choice for me, single-factor.

A quick read looks like VG-1 is to VG-10 what S110V is to S30v, and I've owned and used all but the VG-1. So it looks like the Cold Steel might be an alright knife. I would feel alright choosing that one if you've got to choose. My Endura FFG in VG-10 is no slouch of a blade.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strictly on their honest merits (as they appear, and are described; haven't seen either one in person), the Cold Steel. Looks like a (good) Fallkniven F1 knockoff, and that's one of my favorite knives.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post