SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    940 Osborne Opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

940 Osborne Opinions Login/Join 
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted
The 940 popped up on my radar when I was in a local sporting goods store. I really like the axis lock and the s30V steel. Being rather svelte is also a huge plus for me, especially in my current work environment.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions, good and bad. Please share.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
The 940 is a classic Benchmade and an all-time favorite EDC knife for a lot of knife nuts.
I've hada few come in and out of my collection, but still hold onto these two below. Thin, lightweight, and a surprisingly long cutting edge for a knife that disappears in the pocket.
I don't personally carry one much, other than when wearing a suit. And usually it's the carbon fiber 940-1. But even this has been supplanted by the newer, fresher Bugout. Still, a classic that should serve you well.

Despite the 940 checking off all the right boxes, I never bonded with it completely. I tried, but it's just too small for me as an EDC. Otherwise there's nothing to hate about it.

And the carbon fiber Bugout that I tend to carry as a 'gentleman's folder' more-so than the 940-1.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
OP, look up Nick Shabazz' review on YouTube. Nick is looked upon by many as the best video knife reviewer. I carry a 940 every day and have many other options (wife says WAY too many). It's lightweight, sturdy (great blade steel) and reasonably priced. I have both the aluminum and the G10 versions....don't believe carbon scales are worth an extra $90.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own and carry a number of 940 Benchmades.
Has been my favorite series for years.
I do not use in a heavy duty capacity though.

"The more People I meet, the more I like Dogs."

Posts: 2920 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I EDC a 940 and have for probably more than 10 years. I believe the 940 is a great EDC for most tasks. If your going to be doing some serious cutting which requires a lot of force then a knife with a larger handle profile will likely be more comfortable.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elde:
OP, look up Nick Shabazz' review on YouTube. Nick is looked upon by many as the best video knife reviewer.

No disrespect but he's no knife expert other than discussing all the technical aspects about a particular knife, or watch, or whatever he thinks a man should be 'EDCing.' I doubt he uses his knives as intended, but then again I doubt 90% of us use our knives to their full potential.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Guess your "opinion" trumps mine. Roll Eyes

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
That's what the internet is all about, right?

Watch his video on how to disassemble a PM2.
He's no knife expert.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raggedhole:
I own and carry a number of 940 Benchmades.
Has been my favorite series for years.
I do not use in a heavy duty capacity though.

Ditto. It has about the best blade to handle ratio out there, is light, a decent steel, narrow handle to fit in the pocket well. My favorite flavor is the standard green handled one.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Last year I picked up the original one with the green handle. Very nice knife, I consider it a gentleman’s knife. I carry it when I’m in a suit or dress pants. It’s considered one of Bemchmades finest classics.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
...but it's just too small for me as an EDC.

I was hot to buy one until I looked at comparison photos and saw how small they were. Frown

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
I find the 940 to be difficult to open with one hand. I have a 484 Nakamura that is much easier. Both are comfortable to carry. The 484 tends to open at times when taking it out of my pocket.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
I consider it a gentleman’s knife. I carry it when I’m in a suit or dress pants.

Ditto. I don't EDC it. I only use it when I'm dressed up. Just seems right for that.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Funny the 940 came up. I just, finally bought one as my local PX at Malmstrom AFB had them for $125. They have a BM spinner in sporting goods and all of the blades are 25% or so off of NORMAL internet pricing. Nice deal.

So far I like it, super sharp and a good slicer. Carries nice, but it is on the small side. But for EDC purposes, unless one needs a blade for wire stripping or HD work...it works fine.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 940 is hands down the best Benchmade ever made. It's not really close IMHO.

It's like the PM2 from Spyderco, everything else is an also ran.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys must carry huge knives! It’s a 3.5 inch blade, while not massive it certainly isn’t small. Now the handle is slim but that’s one of its best features. Lots of blade in an easy to carry package. As for toughness well..... After Hurricane Ivan I used this blade exclusively during a couple weeks of cleanup. It took a beating and laughed.

It’s a BM classic for a reason.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a green one with a clip blade. I really like it. A good size. Not too small, but very carryable.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input. I think one will be on its way to my doorstep shortly.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post