SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Swords - please recommend me one
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swords - please recommend me one Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. It looks like it may have been resharped more than once, which means it's probably been used to cut a lot of things....

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Fascinating. It looks like it may have been resharped more than once, which means it's probably been used to cut a lot of things....

I've never cut anything with it, but I'm guessing yes. Smile Probably not good to dwell on the "things" it may have cut though. The ha is still even with one very tiny chip, and I could shave with it. It's amazing how this high carbon steel can maintain its finish with nothing but choji oil - I've seen newer weapons in the Tower of London that look like they were stored at the bottom of the ocean. This blade looks pretty much like it looked when it came from the forge I imagine, 200 - 300-ish years later. Remarkable craftsmanship and attention.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doc H.,

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Tried to get a closeup with the small defect, but it's hard to capture the almost iridescent pattern of the hamon. Other than this chip (about 0.5mm for scale), I'm sure the blade is as beautiful and functional as when it was made, and it has probably seen some use.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
A simple 5 foot pole with any of the quality spear tips you can buy on amazon for < $40. 5 foot so it's short enough to be used indoors, but long enough to keep anyone out of easy reach. There's a reason why spears have been used throughout time as the the basic weapon. It's a whole lot easier to learn how to be effective with a long thrusting spear over a sword and in the relatively narrow confines of hallways and such, the thrusting spear is even more effective than swords and other swinging weapons since your only needed attack is a straight thrust. The main nemesis against spears, shields, are not encountered very much, so a thrusting spear is still pretty damn effective! In untrained (or at least not very practiced) hands, the spear beats the hell out of any long knife/sword of equivalent skill simply because you have much more range.

Hang a flag on it and is simply a sharp flagpole you had to grab because you were attacked! Obviously, if your home is attacked by a horde of master swordsmen, you're going to die, but for use defensively against most any other hand weapon from real world criminal scum, it's likely to win. Some guy attacks you with any sword, baseball bat, machette, etc, your short 5 foot spear has got 3 foot of reach to impale them before they can even get their weapon close.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
After some reflection, I’ve made up my mind, and I think a katana will be the better choice, considering my training, bodly constitution, house layout etc.

What is the best sub-$750 Katana I can get?

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'm very impressed with the swords coming out of Chinese forges these days. Lots to choose from on eBay. The one I have was only $200US. Look for blades that have been layer-forged and clay-tempered. Those will be actual battle-ready swords, and not wall-hangers.

Clay Tempered T10 Folded Steel Japanese Samurai Sword Katana Sharp High Quality

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I bought the one kkina has posted above after seeing one of his posts. Always wanted to buy oen from bugei trading but didn't want to spend a thousand bucks!!!! this one is very nice!!

Posts: 7790 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Shop Tactical Elements. I think they are Canadian.

Look at RMJ, including the Kukri posted before as well as the Wyvern

Wyvern

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5641 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I don’t need a sword. If I had one I wouldn’t know how to use it.

But damn I now want one.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15248 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Life Member
posted Hide Post
If I was looking for an excuse to buy a sword, I would get a saber.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8140 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert so I'd be interested what those with experience think of the Zulu Assegai stabbing spear for HD?

Posts: 12427 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post