SIGforum
Swords - please recommend me one

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/2640039454

March 25, 2019, 07:23 PM
ggile
Swords - please recommend me one
Don't overlook the tactical axe or tomahawke. They are just as formidable and might fit into your environment a little easier.

https://www.gearhungry.com/best-tactical-tomahawks/

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin
March 25, 2019, 07:25 PM
Graniteguy
Get a spear. Much more practical for the untrained or "uninitiated".
March 25, 2019, 07:28 PM
gearhounds
For close quarters, you might be better served with an edged thrusting weapon. A thrusting weapon that can penetrate 5 or 6 inches easily would be considerably more lethal than a slashing weapon and take a lot less skill to wield. Two hands spread apart on a shaft would give better leverage for thrusting than close together as well. Reversed, it would give you a “less lethal” option if it was warranted- a hard thrust with a hardwood staff would be extremely painful. Something like Cold Steel’s Assegai short shaft might be the best of all worlds in close proximity.

https://www.coldsteel.com/prod...ith-short-shaft.html

Or you could buy the 6 foot full size version and trim it to your preferred length. Cold Steel blades are plenty tough, durable tools that won’t break the bank.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
March 25, 2019, 07:31 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Can you provide an image of the tip of the sword?

Sure.

Here's a link to it. It was a cheap sword, something I bought on a whim. No idea of the quality of it. At the time I watched a bunch of utube videos and did some googling and it seemed like a good value.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 25, 2019, 07:31 PM
Dakor
Kiku Mitsada makes some interesting but expensive blades. The one I always perceived as an ideal, one-handed short sword is his KM-430 Souryu. Looks like a smaller version of a Spartan blade (Kiku’s has a 15.25” blade length) with some Japanese elements thrown in, made with a microsteel that holds an edge exceptionally well. While not in stock, you can see an example here (scroll down a ways):
http://japaneseknifedirect.com/KikuoMatsudaKnife.html
March 25, 2019, 07:35 PM
AllenInAR
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Their website (ZT) is hilarious. I kinda want a gladius now.

The names are genius.
"Trauma-hawk"
"Taint-o"

I am partial to the "Sharkalope" myself. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV
March 25, 2019, 07:56 PM
Doc H.
My go-to after my P229:

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"
March 25, 2019, 08:09 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Real Katana for $200
When I looked into this in 2014, I came away with the conclusion that for self-defense at home (i.e. indoor) that the wakizashi's shorter blade length (between 12 and 24 in) is preferable over the katana's longer blade length (between ​23 5⁄8 and 28 3⁄4 in). What are your thoughts?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
March 25, 2019, 08:10 PM
kkina
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Real Katana for $200
When I looked into this in 2014, I came away with the conclusion that for self-defense at home (i.e. indoor) that the wakizashi's shorter length (between 12 and 24 in) is preferable over the longer katana's longer length (between ​23 5⁄8 and 28 3⁄4 in). What are your thoughts?

Good idea. Actually, why not do what the Samurai did, and get one of each (full length katana and shorter wakizashi)?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
March 25, 2019, 08:16 PM
redleg2/9
I would take a very different approach.

1. Buy a wall hanger, none-firing, 1903 Springfield.

2. Buy an original 16" 1905 bayonet and sharpen it to a fine edge. (the 10" modified is probably equally effective, but I would want the extra reach.)

3. Attach the bayonet and keep the scabbard loosely on covering the bayonet.

4. Display on an easily accessed wall or keep in your bedroom closet.

My thinking is that the rifle should intimidate any sane intruder, and the 16" of steel would only add to the pucker factor.

My favorite part of basic was bayonet training with the M14. With a quick lunge, I could put that puppy in the target from about 8' away and you had the added benefit of a butt stroke.

Just thinking about it, brings tears to my eyes. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/
March 25, 2019, 08:19 PM
mikeyspizza
I agree with mr kablammo - I'd want stabbing ability and slicing.

A big Bowie knife would do - something like the 12" long x 1/4" thick Cold Steel 1917 Frontier Bowie.

March 25, 2019, 08:20 PM
tatortodd
quote:
why not do what the Samurai did, and get one of each (full length katana and shorter wakizashi)?
I believe they were the inspiration for Sigforum's official procurement philosophy of "why buy one when you can buy two for twice the price?" Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
March 25, 2019, 09:39 PM
Steyn
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
My go-to after my P229:

What are we looking at here?
March 25, 2019, 10:43 PM
flesheatingvirus
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
Don't overlook the tactical axe or tomahawke. They are just as formidable and might fit into your environment a little easier.

https://www.gearhungry.com/best-tactical-tomahawks/

True dat. On my wish list:

https://www.rmjtactical.com/co...oducts/kestrel-trail

I'm also in love with this:

https://www.rmjtactical.com/co...nives/products/kukri

Sexy and intimidating as hell.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
March 26, 2019, 10:58 AM
Kravashera
If you want to combine ease of use, effectiveness, and close quarters, I would say go for a gladius. Designed to hack and stab with and be issued to the rank and file Roman soldier without a lot of training.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein
March 27, 2019, 08:08 AM
UTsig
I never really consider a blade for home defense but am lucky to have a couple that would work. I have to go with the folks that recommend a shorter, easier to maneuver weapon. That Kukri from RMJ looks good!

If customs fit your wallet, you should look at the works of James Helm and his friends. All these guys are well respected makers and understand steel, edge geometry etc. Winners at Forged in Fire, too.

http://helmforge.com/

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
March 27, 2019, 10:20 AM
Strambo
I prioritize penetration over slashing so I'd probably go Gladius as well. Close second to a tactical hawk as it is so versatile (hacking, penetrating, hooking/trapping etc.) Honorable mention to the short spear and rifle mounted bayonet!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
March 28, 2019, 07:47 AM
Doc H.
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doc H.:
My go-to after my P229:

Traditional Japanese katana, heirloom 玉鋼:たまはがね blade.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"
March 28, 2019, 08:55 AM
kkina
quote:
quote:
My go-to after my P229:

Wow, a real katana of traditional tamahagane steel. Tell us more about it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
March 28, 2019, 04:10 PM
Doc H.
quote:
quote:
quote:
My go-to after my P229:

Wow, a real katana of traditional tamahagane steel. Tell us more about it.

Original nihonto, given as a gift many, many years ago, re-mounted with relatively new commercial koshirae at the time I was told, at least a fairly new tsuba and tsuka, and the saya I'm sure is not original. The blade has some age on it as you can tell, but well maintained at least since I've had it, and I was told at the time perhaps late Edo; I'm sure no earlier but hard to tell. The nakago was shortened once, and I couldn't find a mei, but it's very well made with a beautiful hamon, although I haven't photographed it very well. I don't know its history, but if it could speak....