SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What knives are you collecting for your grandkids?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What knives are you collecting for your grandkids? Login/Join 
posted
I'm putting back evey ESEE and Condor Knife and Tool knife I come across at a good price. To date, I have a Like New ESEE4, Like New ESEE6, and and Lightly Used Condor Atac. Total investment: $150.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I started the two grandsons (with their mom's permission) with small folders & multi-tools. They are currently 11 & 6 so the really cool stuff will be a ways in the future. The autos will be the last class they will get.

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I’m collecting DBK and LionTribe knives. These are made by forum members here. Commercial offerings of late haven’t done anything for me. But having something custom made or having a design of your making come to life... that is where it’s at!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Case knives.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I have both a NIB Case and NIB Buck medium stockman knives for my daughter's two Boys. I showed my grandsons the knives, but they asked if they could have SAKs instead. I got them each a tinker model two Christmases ago. The ten year old cut himself immediately trying to open his. I have other grandsons, and maybe they'll appreciate the stockmans when they're old enough.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a few Randalls. That is the only thing that is collectable. Everything else is users.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have a few Randalls. That is the only thing that is collectable.

It comes down to why you're collecting. The above statement about Randalls is correct. They're the only knife with a proven track record. They just go up and up over time. Better still, there's a proven demand. Who knows how kids well treat the knife when we're gone. If they have one "user" then they can sell the remainders and buy electric toys, phones, or drugs. At least they'll get your money back many times over.

Custom knives are nice to look at. But try to sell one. No one wants to give you back anywhere near what you spent. Worse, styles change. The cool knife today may be just kind of a novelty tomorrow. That translates into a big loss from what you paid.

So to answer the title's question, two knives I collect. Randalls and Gil Hibben. I even bought a "fish" knife made by a Michigan guy. He retired to Fl and stopped making them, but th one I saw and bought was really well made. I think that maker was Blackwell. Nothing fancy, just solid traditional styling and great workmanship. Its your money, spend it as you please.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have a good collection of custom knives. Some are not worth a lot, some are. If I was to pass today my wife would be at the local flea market selling them for $25.00 or two for $40.00.LOL

I have a several R.W. Loveless knives bought directly from Bob, they have significant value. I have a good collection of a maker named Jimmy Fikes, he has a cult like following, these are worth quite a lot.

My only grandchild is a girl, now 11, I doubt any of my collection is of interest to her.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:

My only grandchild is a girl, now 11, I doubt any of my collection is of interest to her.

But some day she may get a boyfriend. With any luck, he'll be a hunter and shooter.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a good collection of custom knives. Some are not worth a lot, some are. If I was to pass today my wife would be at the local flea market selling them for $25.00 or two for $40.00.LOL

I have a several R.W. Loveless knives bought directly from Bob, they have significant value. I have a good collection of a maker named Jimmy Fikes, he has a cult like following, these are worth quite a lot.

I'd love to see your Loveless and Fikes knives.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Just today I received two knives from Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT). I have had a CRKT knife for ages, and really like the design and quality. Check the classifieds for downtownv's post.

https://www.crkt.com/

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I aim to please, hope you like them, especially the Fikes.

My Loveless collection:

http://winpics.fototime.com/R....0-%20My%20Collection

Jimmy Fikes:

http://winpics.fototime.com/Ji...20Fikes%20Collection

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Very cool, UTsig. That is a great collection. Thanks for posting.

Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are hoping to be blessed with grandkids!
I'm heavy into the classic Gerber knives, and also US military knives and bayonets from WW2. We have a son, and he's into knives, but if grandkids come along, he is going to have to share!

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
My oldest grandson will get this one... in about 6 years*.

SIG Sauer by Hogue • Elishewitz Design EX-A05 SIG Emperor Scorpion
AUTO Folding Knife 3.5" CPM-154 FDE Plain Spear Point Blade, Black Aluminum Handles

*He's 12 now.

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They can fight over these...

I ordered identical Randall Trout and Bird knives for all my kids and grandkids. My kids have theirs and the oldest grandson has his--the rest of them (three) are in the Randall queue!

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I aim to please, hope you like them, especially the Fikes.

My Loveless collection:

http://winpics.fototime.com/R....0-%20My%20Collection

Jimmy Fikes:

http://winpics.fototime.com/Ji...20Fikes%20Collection

Many folks don't realize it but Bob was also well known for his work done on Smith & Wesson Model 41s.

https://www.rockislandauction....3279/smith-wesson-41

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C L Wilkins,

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:

Many folks don't realize it but Bob was also well known for his work done on Smith & Wesson Model 41s.

https://www.rockislandauction....3279/smith-wesson-41

Loveless was a big gun guy, loved watches, too. I had quite a few conversations with him, he and I both owned pistols by Bill Grover's Texas Longhorn Arms. I sent him Taffin's book "Big Bore Sixguns", he loved it. I know someone that has a Loveless Model 41, at least he did. That was quite a price, don't think I'll ever own one.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
BlackAgnes, that is a nice 'lection, as my three year old granson calls his collection of rocks. And "accumulation" would be a better word for his rocks, but yours is a true collection.

posted Hide Post
Thanks!

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post