SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Thoughts on the Benchmade 940
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on the Benchmade 940 Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have any thoughts/opinions or personal experience? Looking for something light and slim for carry - watched/read several reviews but curious about the forum's thoughts on this knife. I prefer the 940-1 over 940-2 but that's quite a price increase and I don't know how practical carbon fiber is to carry.

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a longtime Benchmade classic. I have a version with a clip blade, and it is a favorite. They are slender and easy to carry.

Carbon will be a little lighter. If it is enough to justify the price is a question for you. The aluminum model is still pretty light. I like carbon fiber, but it does get pricey.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've handled the aluminum and the G10 versions and prefer the G10 - although I wish the 940-2 was offered with a black coated blade. CF is lighter according to website but I don't know if it makes that much of a difference - especially for the price increase

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 940 is my favorite BM. Slim, great blade to handle ratio, light, cool blade shape. I prefer the standard 940 (it's thinner than any of the other variations), but I'm tempted by the REI version (green G10).

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I love everything about the 940, with the exception of my blade centering. Mine was a little off to begin with, but has gotten worse. To the point I may send it in.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the 940. One of my favorite benchmade knives. I'm thinking of getting the 943.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 940-1 is a carbon fiber scaled knife with different blade steel. It is lighter than the 940. I have both, use the equally. Imho the 940's are the quintessential modern gentalmans knife. If you want a more classic look, get a stockman from hubertus. Other than that 940 is my favorite. You can see the 940-1 infront of the green 940.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I love everything about the 940, with the exception of my blade centering. Mine was a little off to begin with, but has gotten worse. To the point I may send it in.

Before sending it in, you might consider the technique in this thread on Bladeforums. It was suggested by a Benchmade employee and several have centered stubborn blades using it. I have not tried it, so I can't vouch for it personally.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:

Before sending it in, you might consider the technique in this thread on Bladeforums. It was suggested by a Benchmade employee and several have centered stubborn blades using it. I have not tried it, so I can't vouch for it personally.

Tried it a few days ago. It busted my Husky bits.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I wasn't a fan of the 940 for a long time. I thought it was too thin, too lightweight when I could carry a more substantial knife easily.

I had this one for a few years and really tried to like it but it never grew on me. It was simply a fancy letter opener with an AXIS lock.

But then I got a 940-1 and it has grown on me significantly. It is one of my go-to pocketknives when I have to wear a suit or black tie. It's quite beautiful, and the S90V blade is pretty sweet though I have yet to abuse the steel like I have other types.
I do admit however, that lately I've been carrying the Benchmade Foray when in formal attire.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I wasn't a fan of the 940 for a long time. I thought it was too thin, too lightweight when I could carry a more substantial knife easily.

I had this one for a few years and really tried to like it but it never grew on me. It was simply a fancy letter opener with an AXIS lock.

But then I got a 940-1 and it has grown on me significantly. It is one of my go-to pocketknives when I have to wear a suit or black tie. It's quite beautiful, and the S90V blade is pretty sweet though I have yet to abuse the steel like I have other types.
I do admit however, that lately I've been carrying the Benchmade Foray when in formal attire.

I have the same clip on my 940-1

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 940 series is a classic. I have beat the hell out of one. Used it exclusively during the cleanup from hurricane Ivan. Eventually broke an axis spring. Worked fine with one until I had a chance to send it in for repairs. Great knife carried it for years. Only moved on to different knives because well, I can. Lol.

As for the torx fasteners. If you are going to take apart or fiddle much with the small torx that are used in knives you need to invest in a quality set of drivers. Husky ain't quality. The ones I use are German. Wiha I believe is the brand. They won't strip your screws. Cheap investment for big return.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
For years I wasn't a fan of many BM designs, but I saw a 940 like agony posted when browsing and fell in love. It's a heck of a knife!

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best knife ever. Edc for over 10 years. Broke the tip off once do to abuse, not defect. Benchmade replaced the entire knife the next time I sent it in for a sharpening.

Posts: 54 | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ended up finding a good deal on the 940-1. I love it - very light and thin with a quick action

posted Hide Post
Grown fond of mine. Only had it a month or so.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Husky bits? That might be the problem. Lol. Get some Wiha ones and you won’t regret it.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Grown fond of mine. Only had it a month or so.

I have always been fond of the look, function and nice lines of the 940 but never pulled the trigger, for no reason in particular.

Now with this picture, it seems that I have found a reason.

Posts: 3464 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post