SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Restore luster to an old Case Trapper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restore luster to an old Case Trapper Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
My wife found her Fathers old Case Trapper in a box of stuff.

She asked I clean it up. I have most of the grime and crud off of it.

It was a well used knife, the blades have been sharpened (not professionally) and it shows.

What can I use to restore the luster of the bone?

Thank you.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Renaissance Wax

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Scotch bride pad.. a little 3 in 1 oil and some patience! I LOVE restoring knives!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Some good info here. I picked up an old Klein electrician's knife at a flea market over the weekend for $2.65. Other than being a little dirty, it appears to be in great shape. I'd like to clean it up and give it to my son, who's an electrician.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd just clean the dirt off it. Gently. No scratchy Scotch Brite or sandpaper. I wouldn't try to polish to bone or the steel. You'll fuck it up and remove years of genuinely acquired patina and love.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Might try just carrying it in your pocket. Personally I put a bit of oil on my hand (bacon grease) rub that into the bone, and put it in my pocket with my change. Give it the same treatment a couple times. It's how it got the original finish, why not more of the same?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post